The Strand

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by 57corvette, Jun 13, 2007.

1. I played around with this truck photo I took last month ........ I tried several different backgrounds with it and finally settle on this one. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is really beautiful
    Quite fitting background and especially the gas pump

3. Thanks Gale .......... I think you may be the only person to respond to my posts ......... I assuming either the other viewers don't like my work, or they're not interested in these kinds of re-touching ..... or all of the above. I don't want to add the icon asking for critiques ..... but it is a little disappointing if several hundred people look at your post and only one or two respond.

Anyway, as always I appreciate you taking the time for mine as well as all the other posts you look at.

4. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Bob

Like this a lot....it is a good background as Gale says....suits the image well....

Great work..

best wishes

Ray

ps...dont be offended if people dont post - I find it very difficult to find time to view all images and have decided to stop participation in some forums because I cannot find time to respond or view as I would wish, and dont want to seem discourteous. It really is a sfine balance between making images and viewing and commenting on the work of others....some people, like gale are real Gems, they find time to view and always respond with helpful critique.....others like me love to view but sometimes dont get down to a response...

Dont be disheartened......

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I love retouching
    I spend alot of time at DPR retouch.
    Although retouch pro is a great place to. Keep forgetting to go there:>)))
    I am to overwhelmed to participate.
    I don't have the PS skills

6. I too think you did a fine job with this -- the color is spectacular as is the combining of the different elements. Do be sure to continue to share your efforts. :smile:

7. Nice work Bob....love the background :smile:

8. LisaR

LisaR Guest

Love the colors in this Bob! I really love the "Strand" .... just sets everything for the foreground.

9. Bob, this is quite a colorful interpretation.
    I like the diagonal created by the objects.
    I'm just wondering if the gas pump should be smaller.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

10. Thank you all for your responses .... I hope I didn't come off as a whiner or a complainer. This is all new for me and I'm very excited to be here and participate. I am also member of three forums that use ProShow for slide shows so I totally understand not having time to view or respond. It is just a little disappointing to spend so much time working on something and having no response to it.

Virginia .. thanks for your thoughts on the gas pump. I did try it smaller ... also with two pumps. Then, I couldn't decide if it should be solid or a little more transparent. I finally decided I liked the ghostly look better than solid .......... but I will rethink the size.

I also made a big mistake ion the windshield .... thinking you should be able to see through it to the drivers side window, but the way I created it, it looks like a broken window. As I mentioned, this is all new to me ..... I have gone back and darkened the window to make it look more solid on my original.

A question for all of you ....should you come back and read this post, or if you're here for the first time. I use Paint Shop Pro xi for most of my work. The biggest problem I have, which takes me the most amount of time is: extracting an image from the background. In this case, the truck that I shot at a car show. I just use the eraser to go all around it ...... but it takes me hours to do it. If there is an easier or faster way, I would appreciate hearing it ...... or better, a tutorial on it. Maybe there is a software that can go it better and faster??

Thanks again for your responses ............

11. Bob, by making the gas pump smaller, the truck will look larger. That would add to the surrealism of your image.

Bob, I think you should consider using Photoshop. The best way to isolate images from the background is by using a mask. It's a much better approach than erasing the background. Masks can be easily modified if you overshoot the area you want to isolate by switching the color of your brush from black to white and vice versa. Once you've erased something, it's much more difficult to recover the information.

With PS3 making a mask is even easier. The new smart selector is a great masking tool and greatly simplifies the task. By modifying the size of the brush you use to do the masking, you can really get close to an edge.

Here's a link about the features.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/

Photoshop also gives you the the ability to create "smart objects". These are scaleable copies of the object you have isolated that retain their resolution.

When you go through all the work that's required to isolate an object, it's good to create a smart object and save it. I now have an extensive library of smart object I've created. They are a great time saver especially if you want to try new things and experiment with different approaches.

One thing you could do is to download a free trial of PS3 and give it a try. :smile:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    See Bob.........

Lods of help and responses....everyone here is great and will do all they can to assist....SO........

A little while back I did a tutorial re extracting, using a pe tool in Photoshop.....(working on something new now)

I am not sure if it applies in your program but here is the link....

http://tutiki.nikoncafe.com/w/index.php/Pen_Tool_Tutorial

Have a look and see if it helps.

Also in Photosgop you can use Rusell Browns advanced masking technique to extract and so many other great meathods...

Go for it and invest in Photshop....you will love it....

Best wishes

Ray

13. Virginia and Ray,

Thanks for your response .......... I do have Photoshop 7 and use it occasionally. I just find PSP xi a little more intuitive to use. There is a much larger learning curve with PS. That being said, I am considering making some changes at the end of the year to try and be a little more professional in my approach. I'm considering shooting only in RAW and getting DXO for my converter. I'm also thinking of upgrading to CS3 or CS3 Extended. I don't look forward to the time it will take to start to learn all of this .... but given most of you use PS, it seems like the thing to do.

Ray, I have seen your tutorial on using the pen tool ......... I couldn't get it to work for me in PSP . but, maybe I can give it a go in PS 7. I really would like to spend less time doing the extraction portion of this and spend more time in the designing part ..... thanks again for your help.