1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Street Called Straight

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Dayo, Dec 8, 2018.

1. In my travels, I have come across a few biblical artifacts. Often in places one wouldn't immediately think of coming across such.
    • In a dark crypt beneath the Agios Lazaros, Larnaca, Cyprus, was supposedly the final resting place of Lazarus after he ultimately passed on after Jesus rose him from the dead.
    • On a hill overlooking Salalah, Oman, sits a tomb supposedly containing the remains of the Muslim Prophet, Ayub, known to Christians as Job.
    • In a bright chapel beneath the Basilica San Tome, Chennai, India, supposedly lies the remains of the Christian Apostle, Thomas, AKA Doubting Thomas.
    • On top of a hill, the St Thomas Mount, in Chennai, India, sits the Chapel of La Senhora da Expectacao. It was built over the spot where St Thomas was supposedly murdered by the locals and contains an Icon supposedly painted by St Luke and brought to Chennai by Thomas.
    • Smack in the middle of the prayer hall of the Omayyad Mosque, in Damascus, Syria, sits a tomb supposedly containing the remains of the Muslim Prophet, Yahya, known to Christians as John the Baptist. Strangely, this Mosque's prayer hall also contains a Christian baptismal font. A relic of a time when both religions shared the same hall.
    None of these however, can be 100% verified as accurate. At least not compared to this living item mentioned in The Acts of The Apostles 9:11 & 12:

And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision ... Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight

Straight Street, or to use the contemporary Roman name, the Via Recta, is still there as it always has been.
    D200 @ ISO 1,600
    AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm @ 18mm
    1/125 @ f/4
    ON1 PhotoRAW
    AB-4-AV_ON1 copy.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Fascinating! And the photo is outstanding. I promised myself that in 2019 I was going to stay in the US, but now, after reading your stories, I just may have to gear back up and head out again. I've always wanted to visit Cyprus and Oman; you've just about talked me into going!

3. Hahaha. Happy to take the blame but not so certain you needed much convincing!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Antiquity...love it. To be able to walk the same ground and see the same sights is visceral

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. An extraordinary night scene with the clear stars, Dayo!
    Definitely enhanced by the accompanying narrative.

6. So it is indeed @Bohdan@Bohdan.
    Thanks @Bart@Bart. It was actually shot in the afternoon though. The street has a domed roof all along its length and the "Stars" are actually holes in the roof.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wonderful illusion! Remarkable.

But are stars not always just holes in a heavenly canvas :) 

8. I have enjoyed this thread and the image - I wondered how you got the stars with no movement of the people, but your explanation tells us how

9. Great shot, thanks for the explanation. Would love to see this.

10. Lovely turn of phrase! You are an artist and a poet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It only occurred to me that it does look so after it was mentioned.

12. Unfortunately would be a quite while before it would be sensible to venture there again.

13. At first I got confused about seeing the light and shadows and the stars all together and I guessed there was an explanation about it in the posts. Then I saw your explanation and I said to myself that " yes,here it is" .

I like it a lot. Why were the all shops closed?

14. It was an Eid holiday

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.