1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Strobist Goes Camping!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Skunkabilly, May 28, 2007.

1. [​IMG]
    Crystal Cove State Park--not quite off the grid.

[​IMG]
    The scenery sucks, but it's local and a good place to test out equipment, in this case, some off-camera flash work.

[​IMG]
    Reconstituting a dehydrated meal.

[​IMG]
    Tonight, we dine on Backpacker's Pantry!!

[​IMG]
    Mexican Style.

2. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

Just a suggestion, don't know what camera you were using, but your flash photos would look better if you were slightly further away from your subject.

The photos have hot spots, with light fall off, this happens, when you are to close, and the flash reflection shuts the flash off, before the whole frame is exposed properly.
    JUST MOVE A FEW FEET FURTHER BACK, YOU WILL GET BETTER FLASH RESULTS.

3. Hi photoshooter, thanks for your input.

About your reply, I like to stay close--if I dial down the flash power or moved just the flash farther away and stayed in the same place, would that help, or do have to move both myself and the flash away?

Do you mean light falloff on the subject alone, or light falloff from subject to background?

4. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

What camera and lens? SB800? close is ok, but you can be close and still be further away, if you are zooming.

The sb-800, uses reflective light, to communicate with itself, when it gets the bounceback, its shuts off. If you are to close, all the light is on what you pointed the flash at, and the rest of the scene, is dark. Especially at night, if you take a picture in a dark room, just focusing at a distant object, the flash will intuitively,, light the entire room.
    The photos would look better if the light was more evenly distributed, you are also using a wide angle lens, by being so close you have distortion. You may do this on purpose, or just move slightly further away from subject.

I looked at your gallery, very nice, work on your technique and try to get your exposure settings correct. Your gallery is cool, traveling is fun.

5. Hi,

I was using the D200 w/ 12-24. Affirmative on the SB-800.

I looked at the settings for the 3rd and 4th (the camp food) and my flash was dialed up +1.7. Oops.

6. I don't understand. Photons travel at a very fast pace... about 186,000 miles per second. I don't see how increasing the distance between the flash and subject would give the flash enough time to expose the entire frame.

Agreed, provided the flash is not in manual mode.

OK, but he was shooting outdoors, and the flash is incapable of brightening the background. Shutting off when the subject is fully illuminated is the best thing it can do.

7. Uncle Frank, do you think I could have just dialed the flash power back to 0? Anything else I could have done?

Appreciate your input, thanks in advance!

I'm shooting without lightstand, umbrella and such--the tent, stove, sleeping bag, mattress, gallon of water, food and spare change of clothes add up in weight!

8. I dunno, Jeff. I think I might have used a slower shutter speed, to get a better balance between ambient and flash, and then used manual on the flash, to keep it from being tricked by the background. But that's just theory, cause I wasn't there. Actually, I like your shots.

9. light falloff between 2 points in the scene varies in relation to the flash distance,. (light falls off with the square of the distance or something!)

to try and say it a different way,. if the flash is close then then the nearest object it hits will be very bright compared to an object slightly further away,. if the flash is further away then the lighting difference between those two objects will be less

Sil

10. The difference in distance from the flash to various face parts doesn't explain why some have highlights and others don't.

11. When it is dark out (or nearly so) there is only one source of light in this case, a very bright flash. When using a flash in a dark area with no diffusion it is expected that there will be specular highlights and shadows. Any moisture (or oil) on the skin will reflect directly back to the camera. The reason for diffusing the light is so that the light will spread and come from different direction to reach the same spot on the face. This helps cut down on the bright reflections. When ambient light is present as in daytime shots, light is coming from every angle and the light looks softer and less direct. This softens shadows and also helps with reflections, unless of course the sun is shining directly on the subject. That is the reason we should look for shaded areas so that the light will be diffuse and softened.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.