The Strobist goes commercial!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  2. He's taking a leave of absence from his job, not quitting, and it really sounds like he's doing so in order to have more family time as much as expanding the blog's efforts.

It will be cool to have more material available from him - I can't keep up with the activities on his site!

3. yay he is like Ken Rockwell now, only talking about a different topic.

4. I'll lay odds he doesn't go back to the Sun. And if he's going on the road with a series of seminars, family time isn't his prime motive. Dave is recognized as a lighting guru, and is a celebrity in photo circles these days. This is a huge opportunity for him... seminars, books, dvds... he's going to be the next Gary Fong!

5. Good for him, sound like an excellent move and he could end up doing very well for himself and his family.

6. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    When I first saw that, I thought he was going to say that he'd be taking a break from the blog. It's a ballsy move and I applaud him for it.

The next Gary Fong??!! :eek: Jeez Frank, all this time I thought you liked Dave. So, why insult him like that? :wink: Although, I'm sure he wouldn't mind earning as much $$$ as Fong...

7. Dave's a very smart cookie. I'm guessing he's gauged the earning power of his site through an arrangement with Midwest Photo Exchange, and the results gave him the security he needed to strike out on his own. More power to him.

Gary Fong is a smart cookie, too :cool:.

8. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    I agree Frank. Dave and Strobist are a hot item right now and he should take full advantage of it. I also agree that he won't go back to the Sun.

As for Fong...for sure he's good at marketing, but I still think he's a crook.

9. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    This isn't the first place I've heard this and yet no one will fill me in as to why they think Fong is a crook....

Congrats to Dave. I follow his site rather religiously...

10. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    Let's not put Fong and Rockwell in the same boat as David Hobby.

I've learned a ton from Strobist. I've learned I waisted money with Gary and I don't need a tripod from Rockwell.

Good luck to him. Chasing a dream isn't an easy thing.

11. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    I hope Dave exceeds his expectations with this venture. That would be a very cool thing if he could make it into something that he really enjoyed, while making a good living. :biggrin:

I don't know much about Dave, but what I do know makes me agree with the others, that say he certainly isn't a jerk like fong. :BlackHat:

I keep my useless "blightsphere" on my server desk, as a reminder of what a great guy he isn't... As for fong being a crook. Dunno. Do know that he has the absolute worst customer service that I've ever encountered in my entire life, which includes used car dealers and shady lawyers..... :mad:

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Sharing your opinion is fine, however words like 'jerk' and 'crook' come very close to stepping over the line. Tone the rhetoric down.

13. I have visited his site since near day one and it is my guess is this has been the business plan even before the site opened. "Worth/value" has been verified with the website and the semniars. Next step is a book and multimedia using lessons learned in presentation skills from the website and the seminars.

looks like a great plan. best of luck to him.