The tallest lightning conductor in the world

The Weather Channel, as in the website and iPhone application, is uncannily accurate. It forecast rain starting at 20:00 with a good chance of thunder and lightning.

I was pretty excited when I saw the first flashes of lightning at 19:55!

I drove into old town Dubai (near the Burj Khalifa) to try to get a good viewpoint and composition. Found it, watching the storms come in.

And then it hit, and hit hard. Monsoon rains and no visibility at all, so I had to find another spot with cover and the change to bag a lightning strike.

I managed to get 5 strikes in the end, and here's the first one that's been processed. I'm returning today to find a place near the original location with cover so I'm ready for later in the week!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WOW...!

That's just spectacular...!

Thanks for sharing...!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fantastic shot! What settings were you at to capture the lighting like that. I've always wanted to try but have never had a good chance.

It was my first effort at lightning photography, so it was a case of learning as I went along.

It wasn't helped by being flooded out at the first site - I had a plastic bag covering the camera and just allowing the lens to peep out but instantly visibility went to zero and I was pummelled with rain and hail! A quick decamp to the car and then to a second point away from the rain and I found out that the remote shutter release wasn't working.

Originally I had planned on Continuous High on the D90, locking down the remote shutter to keep firing away. I was trying various F stops and settings as I went along, but to get sufficient detail in the Burj I needed around 3 seconds at F8 (ISO200) or 8 seconds at F16 (ISO200) as I was getting tired of pressing the shutter every 3 seconds...!

i find the easy is to set it at F4-f11 (depeing how dark it is and how far away the lighting is. )

and try to get 3-15 second exposures, some times i even use ND filters (9 stop if its day time storm)

very nice capture !!!

Thanks Andrew - I was thinking about a ND for next time. With a wider view that should pick up multiple strikes better. Unfortunately I was flooded into an area that didn't allow me to 'step back' and get anything with foreground interest after my initial viewpoint bit the dust.

Heavy rain in a sandy atmosphere = everything goes beige! I've got a lot of cleaning to do! And to remember to take the wife's 4x4 as well, just in case!

That's a great shot! That building is amazing without the strike of lightning, pair the two together and it's a great shot!
Thanks for sharing!

Stunning shot! Did you take it to the building management? They might want to enlarge it and display it in their lobby!
I might just do that! On a local forum another member took my concept and location for a shot of Atlantis and replicated it. A couple of months later I saw a two page spread in the national newspaper's weekend magazine (originally thinking it was my shot) and found out that they were given a weekend's family stay! I'm a little careful with that forum since then! I've posted to the national paper though, so we'll see what comes up!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom