The TAMMY CLUB

Very nice.
Kalison, these are nice--the colors give a dreamy, surreal effect. :)

Thank you!

I have owned the Tammy 28-75/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 70-300VC, 17-35/2.8-4

They have all been excellent glass. They arent made of metal or anything but they are light and small which is paramount for some people... the glass has always been more than acceptable.

Keep it coming people! I will add some more later!

Thank you!

They have all been excellent glass. They arent made of metal or anything but they are light and small which is paramount for some people... the glass has always been more than acceptable.

Keep it coming people! I will add some more later!
Honest opinion of the 70-200/2.8

Honest opinion of the 70-200/2.8
The AF motor is a bit slow for really fast sports. It needs a limiter switch to really be better... because when it hunts and it goes ALLLL the way to macro mode it is just too slow to get back to the range you need. If you don't need to do sports or rarely shoot in low light I think you can pass on this lens, the AF motor is just fine for everyday things though. Overall IQ is just fine I think, wide open I had no qualms.

If you don't need 2.8 though, I think the 70-300VC is a lighter and faster focusing lens. On FX its a very nice lens wide open all the way through. I haven't really played with it on DX yet, I assume the sweet spot would or could give different or better results.

The AF motor is a bit slow for really fast sports. It needs a limiter switch to really be better... because when it hunts and it goes ALLLL the way to macro mode it is just too slow to get back to the range you need. If you don't need to do sports or rarely shoot in low light I think you can pass on this lens, the AF motor is just fine for everyday things though. Overall IQ is just fine I think, wide open I had no qualms.

If you don't need 2.8 though, I think the 70-300VC is a lighter and faster focusing lens. On FX its a very nice lens wide open all the way through. I haven't really played with it on DX yet, I assume the sweet spot would or could give different or better results.
I do like my 70-300VR I have now I was just interested in the f/2.8 I just shot a graduation and had to use my 70-300VR and in low light it performed terribly. I had a feeling it would it's just not designed for a HS football field at night. I think the 70-300VC would be about the same.

I do like my 70-300VR I have now I was just interested in the f/2.8 I just shot a graduation and had to use my 70-300VR and in low light it performed terribly. I had a feeling it would it's just not designed for a HS football field at night. I think the 70-300VC would be about the same.
It sure helps in low light, for sure. I just wouldn't recommend it if you don't have to do it often. Its still large and heavy. In lower light sometimes it will hunt... but not hunt all over... just focus, pause, back up a tiny bit, then back on focus. So it will kill you will just being off slightly if you shoot fast.

It has great bokeh, so if you want it for that its also a good choice.

Been enjoying my new 70-300 VC

Some posted here already somewhere, some not.

most shot @300mm

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 913826

View attachment 913828

View attachment 913842

View attachment 913843

View attachment 913844

and my handsome little man on a hot and humid 96f day!
..26months old...shot at 170mm

View attachment 913846

This is one of the lenses I want BAD...I also want to get the Tamron 90mm. It's funny cause the only nikon lens I own is a 50mm f1.8 and that hasn't been used in ages. All my glass is the high quality Sigma and Tamron stuff...and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Yea, overall I'm really happy with the 70-300 VC. My first choice was a used Nikon 300mm f/4 but I just couldn't score one in my price range. Then with the researching I was doing, it seemed it was basically a mono/tripod lens and I just didn't want to go down that road yet. So it came down to the 70-300's (nikon or tamron). This decision basically came down to cost. I knew either way I would be getting a good lens and with reviews rating them so close, I just decided to go with the cheaper one. I'll say though, when I was trying them out at a local store, I was impressed by tamrons VC over the VRII.

Funny thing is, a week later my local camera store sends me a Nikon sales advertisement listing the 70-300 VR for $389 lol.

Dengar: Ive had 2 spectacular Tamron lenses in my lifetime (17-50 and 70-300 VC). The rest however have been utter junk.
Dengar, this thread will be reference material for some of us--can you help us out? Please, tells us some about the "junk" lenses, lest we make the same mistake.

nates: 17-50 f2.8 is good for people shooting too.
Nate, that bambino shot is awesome! :)
Tyr-Sog:

Been enjoying my new 70-300 VC

Some posted here already somewhere, some not.

most shot @300mm
IQ in your shots looks great here--nice work.

Kalison:

This may surprise some, but the 24-135 is made with metal, is bulit like a tank--best build quality of any modern Tamron lens I have used.

No one talks much about the Tammy 18-200. This was my first Tamron and it is pretty good for its price. Here are some samples of this lens with my D40.

Tumon Bay Sunset by orgazmo, on Flickr

Double Rainbow by orgazmo, on Flickr

DSC_0009 by orgazmo, on Flickr

DSC_0995 by orgazmo, on Flickr

DSC_0996 by orgazmo, on Flickr

DSC_1000 by orgazmo, on Flickr

DSC_1057 by orgazmo, on Flickr

White Bengal Tiger by orgazmo, on Flickr
View attachment 913873
DSC_1056 by orgazmo, on Flickr

DSC_0953 by orgazmo, on Flickr

18-270 vc pics

i tend to find with the 18-270 f/8 is it's sweet spot. good travel lens

Jr1966: No one talks much about the Tammy 18-200. This was my first Tamron and it is pretty good for its price. Here are some samples of this lens with my D40.
Nice colors with the 18-200--excellent sun set/rise (?) Did you use a ND GRad to get that exposure?

les_au 18-270 vc pics
That 1st flower pic is extra nice. :)

I sold the 17-50 to help fund the D700--"got to break a couple of eggs to make a cake"--anyway, all I have to post with this awesome lens comes from my days shooting Pentax mount--hope it is okay to show a few 17-50 shots on another mount.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom