1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Tamron 90 is good for portraits

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Phillip Ino, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    2834498782_c83c1617f1_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2833661647_6da0a9a27c_b.jpg

:tongue::biggrin:

I was hoping to get more Dragon shots, but this bird charachter kept eating them all.

2. Wow, you got close to that heron with a 90, impressive. I have a hard time getting close to think with my 300.

3. Who said it wasn't? I endorse it! Just remember to set it on limited!

4. Francis,

Beautiful images. From everything I've seen and read about this lens it seems like it's a beauty. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't do quite well for portraits as long as the 90mm focal length works for the type of work and location you're shooting. I bet it's sweet in the studio, as I already use an 85mm and a 105mm.

Jonathan,

I'm unfamiliar with this lens. Can you explain what the 'limited' position is?

5. There's a limited and unlimited switch, you use the limited when you just want to use the 90 2.8 as a walk around/portrait lens (less focus hunting). You use unlimited when you want to do macro work (More focus hunting). Quite useful and makes this a cheap and sharp dual purpose lens. It has my approval!

They have the new Di versions, but I just bought the old non-Di version on ebay for half the price. Does the same thing!

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    It was only about 10 feet away. Kept jumping back and forth from pond to pond to snatch up the dragonflies, not caring at all that I was there :smile:

7. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Aye aye Captain! :tongue:

8. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    It's super light, too! I am considering possibly getting another lens for macro work, something with a little more reach. And since I have the 85 now, this may get even less use...

9. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Stunning shots ..I love mine for portraits as well..:biggrin:

STU_24441.jpg

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

the new $350 after rebate DI has slighter better optics. it's smoother imho...;-)

11. I have no complaints about the old one! :wink:

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

fully agree..fact i think this lens rox and is best of breed in it's FL second only to the cz 100 f2. no issues focusing to infinity and bokeh to die for. i dig the MF clutch too. @ $350 bucks brand new it sets itself apart as the best bargain out there for multi-purpose macro...a NO brainer, imho!
    :cool: 

13. My Tamron is possibly the sharpest lens in my kit, and that from corner to corner. Is it lightweight, has a wonderful "bokeh", is tack sharp wide open and if you can live with 2.8@90 wonderfully doubles as a portrait lens.
    This lens is the reason why I can easily resist Nikon's 85s. :smile:

331692770_nwGLV-O.jpg

331691922_tByw7-O.jpg

And these aren't even taken wide open, so there's still some reserve for thin-DOF junkies. Not enough for Nute, probably :biggrin: but I think for that focal length 2.8 is thin enough for my purposes. :smile:

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wonderful Daniel ....i'm really high on this lens. and if u have no need/lust for additional speed then this is the ONE!!!

;-)))

15. lust? ... well... sure I have :biggrin: Need? ...mmm... no... not really. Let's say not enough to have me seriously lusting for a 85/1.4 with that gem in my kit. :rolleyes: :wink: (that was close..)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.