The Tetons and Smoke

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Tinstafl, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I had great dreams of taking pictures of this barn. I got up at 4 am and hit the road from West Yellowstone to Antelope Flats. I got there a few mins before sunrise and set up and while the barn was bathed in golden light the mountains were still shrouded in smoke that we have been fighting my whole trip. I had hoped the light rain shower might have cleared it but the fires are too tough. They say we should get wind on monday but I am leaving that day.

35674084334_cce24e2f29_b. Teton -2017_DSC9668.jpg by Tinstafl, on Flickr

I hit Oxbow as well and it was not much better.
    36508918805_08c80c95db_b. Teton -2017_DSC9801.jpg by Tinstafl, on Flickr

2. Man, sorry to hear that. Gotta be tough to have great expectations, only to have something so far out of your control dash them.

3. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Congrats on doing the best you could given the situation!

4. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Get a photo of the moon, if it's as smokey as it is here it should be bright red.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Just do your part. Conditions will always vary. You will be rewarded more often than not. Nothing wrong with the image posted!

I, too, visited Yellowstone/Tetons during extreme wildfires. The worst? I dropped my 3 week old D810! There are plenty of photo ops that are seldom impacted by smoke from raging fires. Adapt....that is what we photographers do.....

6. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    If you are using LR give the dehaze tool a try.

7. I, too, have gone to locations that I had high hopes for (once or twice even likely once in a lifetime stops) only to have conditions be less than ideal. I have taken my pics, and gone away happy that I was able to enjoy that quiet time at that location, whether I got my "shot of a lifetime" or not... it's enjoyable just being able to visit these wonderful locations. :)

BTW- that first shot is not bad... it looks nice the way it is, and with a little more careful PP could be turned into a photo to hang on the wall and be proud of!

8. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
  9. I've been there enough to appreciate the subtleness of your shot

10. Too bad you had to deal with the smoke. The first one seems to be salvageable. Hope you were able to enjoy the trip.

11. I second this . . . Good shots though!