The Threat (Series of 9 pictures)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hangin tree, Apr 5, 2007.

1. WOW, Gary! As always you post some of the most stunning eagle photos! I never tire seeing them! I could almost feel the drama those 2 were in! keep em comin!

2. Thank You Dianne

I actually seen this and did not know what the threat was but knew that something was going on. The bad shots were from getting in to big of a hurry to get a picture of the immature and it came from my blind side as well. Not much room in there for in-flight shots I'm afraid but needed them to make the story.

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Gary,

The top beak looks a little strange on the bird in the first image. I know you've been watching these birds for awhile so I was wondering if the bill had been damaged? From what I can see the right side looks strange but the left side seems to be ok.

At any rate you have posted up a nice story. I've seen this over the years and it is always a thrill to witness. Even though the eye isn't showing in #3 it is my favorite of the series because of the posture and ruffled feathers. It's apparent that some young eagle is about to gets its tail kicked!

4. I have noticed the Female beak on one side seems to have a notch in it I have thousands of pictures and I'm sure I can blowup a few and tell for sure. The real story finish was she jumped into the nest and he flew up to confront the young eagle which immediatly went almost straight up and away. There are 3 immature eagles that hunt/fish that area. This episode will be but one of the stories that will be told in my pictorial project.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What A GREAT SERIES TO CATCH gARY
    vERY GOOD EAGLE SHOTS.
    lOVE THE YELLING :>))))

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Gary, I have only cracked the surface when it comes to birding, but there is just something special about viewing images of an eagle. Not sure if it's the majesty or what, but these creatures definately command my attention. You keep shooting and I'll be here waiting for more. Thanks so much for sharing.

7. Thanks Gale

You needed to be there!!! When they are excited it reaches a whole nother level

Thanks Frank

I believe I owe you this, I couldn't get him in better light sorry!!!

Peckerwood.

8. What a beautiful red headed woodpecker! I don't know that we have those around here!

9. We have several spieces around here

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gary,

I too have seen this scenario, and it does truly give you goose bumps. Last year, the male and female both left the nearly fledged young one for a while, I think hoping that he would leave the nest. After about an hour, a couple of juvi's (the previous year's offspring??) started swarming around the nest. I got really worried that the juvi's would hurt or kill the young one. About that time, one of the parents came streaking into the nest.

It looked like a B52 coming in. I had never seen anything like it. In short order, both juvi's were routed, and the fledgling was safe. It was an awe-inspiring display. :smile:

11. Yes It is and I've had many experiances where the pair actually comunicate and there is a level of understanding.

12. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Wow Gary. Those are great. I am ready to head back over to Guntersville, are you ready to guide again. I got a few shot of the Redheaded woodpecker on Sunday. But I was so far away I could not get a good crop.

13. Hey Rex I got the woodpecker close but couldn't get the light right. The Female Merganser was sleeping and I got pretty close.