The Threatened "Arty" Shots

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave Rosser, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Well first two versions of a fairly straight shot before the slightly non standard :smile:
    This first shot is the whole frame

While in the second picture I have cropped in more on the main subject

Which do you prefer??

The following 4 shots of black headed gulls are a bit different than the standard, are any of them any good or should they be consigned to the great bit bin in the sky :frown:

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

The second one and the last one get my vote.
    the OOF areas in others seem to distract.

3. merlin50

merlin50

Nov 5, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Dave,

I love the second crop! Nice going!

Dave

4. I'm with Ben on this one. The last one is a really nice font on kind-a-cute picture. #2 has more interest than #1.

The others lose out becauae of the OOF areas - just a bit too much. Try cropping them to reduce the OOF and increase the balance.

5. RForshey

RForshey Guest

I have to agree, the crop of the swan is much better, as the bird in the foreground is quite distracting. On the gulls, I think 4 is the best, for the same reasons. Great shots!

6. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Another vote for #2 and the last one.

7. Dave, very nice, #2 and #3 get my vote.

louie

8. Number 2 is good as is. Nice curves lead the eye around. Also a the darker head seems to work for me.

The last one is also good, however I would crop about a quarter off the right, keep the bird left of center however, lighten the black at top left, and dodge the red a bit. The bird face is fine as it is.

Good exposure also on both.

Nice job.

9. Thanks all for the comments - very useful. Will reply again later, have to go out now as the laptop hard disk has failed:Shocked: and need to get a new one.

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi dave-

my vote goes for the last one, i like the intense look from the subject. the rest of them i'm not sure about, there's nothing as eye catching as the last one.

ricky

11. Yup, they get my vote too.