The Three "C"'s of an iPad

Real Name
Ken St John
I am considering adding a new "C" to this thread ... "Compelling".

This device continues to strut it's stuff. On Sunday, we took a brief car trip to the tulip fields of the Skagit valley. About 2.5 hours each way. My son convinced me to load a couple of movies and let him watch them on the iPad. So, after 5 hours of use ... including two full length movies (Star Trek and Star Wars I), I thought I'd continue reading before bed ... if there was enough power left. I turned the iPad on and found the battery at 65%!! I read for another 2 hours, and it was still around 60%!!

In a word ... IMPRESSIVE!!

Cheers!!

Ken

I think you nailed it..... until you have spent some serious time with it, it's easy to bash. This thing just ROCKS!! Right Connie?

I think a big part of this is the hype and fanfare that comes with any apple products. It seems like they could release a pet pooper scooper and if it has the apple logo on it, people would go crazy over it. Anything with this much polarity will have extreme opposition as well as extreme acceptance (take connie for example. she is almost rabidly excited about it (no offense), and there are inevitably going to be people just like that but on the other end of the spectrum). The iphone and ipad are both inevitable devices that would have been created regardless of the existence of apple yet they are touted as 'revolutionary' or 'magical' by many. Another thing is the closed way that apple goes about things. They like to maintain an extreme level of control over their devices, which is often limiting and can make a really cool device very disappointing. Sure, HTML5 is the new flash, but A LOT of websites still use flash. There are tons and tons of applications available in flash, but that would take away revenue from apple. And, lastly, as the OP points out, as well as the snippet of the article from Time magazine, it's mostly for consumption, not creating, which is a disappointment and makes it more of a toy than a device of productivity for many people (although obviously not all).

they are selling a pet pooper scooper designed by apple!!!!

i want one bad!

is it going to be called 'iScoopPoop' or just 'iPoop'?

i will stay in line for a week for two, one to use and one to sell on ebay 10 years from now.

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
I think a big part of this is the hype and fanfare that comes with any apple products. It seems like they could release a pet pooper scooper and if it has the apple logo on it, people would go crazy over it. Anything with this much polarity will have extreme opposition as well as extreme acceptance (take connie for example. she is almost rabidly excited about it (no offense), and there are inevitably going to be people just like that but on the other end of the spectrum). The iphone and ipad are both inevitable devices that would have been created regardless of the existence of apple yet they are touted as 'revolutionary' or 'magical' by many. Another thing is the closed way that apple goes about things. They like to maintain an extreme level of control over their devices, which is often limiting and can make a really cool device very disappointing. Sure, HTML5 is the new flash, but A LOT of websites still use flash. There are tons and tons of applications available in flash, but that would take away revenue from apple. And, lastly, as the OP points out, as well as the snippet of the article from Time magazine, it's mostly for consumption, not creating, which is a disappointment and makes it more of a toy than a device of productivity for many people (although obviously not all).

Ricky

Others have tried to make a touchpad and FAILED. Apple has created a touchpad that has very high consumer and reviewer appeal.

Your "analysis" of why this product has succeeded is both laughable and demeaning to those that have purchased it.

cheers
JohnG

Ricky

Others have tried to make a touchpad and FAILED. Apple has created a touchpad that has very high consumer and reviewer appeal.

I agree. All I'm saying is that it's inevitable that someone would have made such a device with similar appeal regardless of apple. Did they make the first of such a device that is appealing to the masses? Yes. Does that make it revolutionary? No.

Your "analysis" of why this product has succeeded is both laughable and demeaning to those that have purchased it.
You missed my point. I wasn't providing an analysis of why it succeeded (and to be honest, I'm not sure how you got that from my post). If anything I was providing an analysis of why there is so much resistance and so many nay-sayers.

I agree 100% on the iPad being a content consumer and not creator. A lot of people don't get that (and hate). But I've been LOVING magazines with the zinio reader. That one app alone almost makes it worth it, but as a portfolio book or browsing the net, or watching streamed movies from the big computer? YES YES YES!!! I love it. It's the perfect second device for us.

I absolutely love the iPad, no two ways about it! :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love:

Today while sitting on the floor in front of the Apple store waiting for the 5:00 PM launch of the 3G version, it was just so cool to be able to catch up with email and actually type responses, (which I tend to avoid doing on the iPhone) hang out at MacRumors and play a game on my WiFi iPad, along with chatting with others in line. Someone had a jail broken iPhone so we tethered it to my iPad and that was neat seeing that process in action. Before I left the house as I was preparing my "launch kit," I briefly considered tucking a paperback book into my tote before I remembered, hey, I could download a book from the iBookstore if I really wanted to read a novel while waiting! Never did do that but the option was there. This thing is truly fantastic!

Now my iPad :Love: is doubled.....

Latest threads

Top Bottom