the TONGUE of the pileated

I have had Pileated Woodpeckers in my backyard almost everyday and even though I’ve taken hundreds if not thousands of images I’ve never seen them display their tongues in this manner. There have been many excellent images posted here of the Pileated, but I’ve never seen one showing the woodpecker’s tongue like this. Bob has posted many super images maybe he has seen this display before, but it was a new one for me.

DSC05529-5 wf.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC05527-5 wf.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Louie

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
AMAZING! I seldom see pileateds....but have never seen even a photo like this! Well done!

terrific capture with perfect timing!!
Is this an example of what 30fps can show us?
For years I always said I did not need fast frame rate- I could capture what I needed with a single shot camera.
30fps showed me I was wrong- it is showing me things I have never seen.
It is also filling my hard drives.
A great tool in the hands of a master, as in this case, simply sings.
gary

Real Name
Andy
For years I always said I did not need fast frame rate- I could capture what I needed with a single shot camera.
gary
I think you're right about the faster frame rate capturing something the eye doesn't see.

gary
Hi Gary and thank you. I really do think that this fast frame rate is what allowed me to capture these scenes. I know lots of folks say that they don't need 30fps and maybe that's so, but you don't know what you've missed until you have shot at 30fps. I'm enjoying it very much, thanks again.
I think you're right about the faster frame rate capturing something the eye doesn't see.
Thanks a lot Andy, this was a first for me. And as I've said I really do think it was the faster frame rate that allowed me to capture these shots.

I definitely have noticed the difference between my A1 and A7R IV when it comes to that faster frame rate -- had to buy yet another external drive before storage became an issue! I'm trying to train myself to keep a light finger on that shutter release before I zip through half a card's memory in one fell swoop...... LOL! Right now I'm using 20 fps rather than 30 fps and that's already fast enough, but then again I'm not doing a lot of active BIF and such right now, either and like using Uncompressed RAW, which allows for only 20 fps.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom