The Top Ten Richest Photographers In The World

I don't take lists like this as being absolute, but of course these are all very deserving professionals.
Yet another year that I don't make the top 10...:frown: :tongue:

If you want to include non-full-time photographers on the list (ie - hobbiests, non-professionals, etc), I think that Howard Stern would top the list.

No - I'm not a fan, but I know that he's into photography and that he's quite well-off financially (to say the least).

If you want to include non-full-time photographers on the list (ie - hobbiests, non-professionals, etc), I think that Howard Stern would top the list.

No - I'm not a fan, but I know that he's into photography and that he's quite well-off financially (to say the least).

I'm a HUGE Howard fan. He was under the watchful eye of Wedding Photographer Doug Gordon for quite some time as he honed his skills. Must be nice having someone like THAT on every outing with you telling you exactly what to do!!!

And exactly how did they obtain each photographer's financial information?

Sean

They didn't. From the last paragraph:
"Although the net worth of these photographers cannot be determined yet, or
released through entities such as Forbes magazine, the ranking is as a result of awards won, accolades received, prestigious positions held and overall
influence in the industry."

So it's a "richest" list made without considering money...

They didn't. From the last paragraph:
"Although the net worth of these photographers cannot be determined yet, or
released through entities such as Forbes magazine, the ranking is as a result of awards won, accolades received, prestigious positions held and overall
influence in the industry."

So it's a "richest" list made without considering money...

Ah, I think I was rolling my eyes too hard at the premise of the article to make it that far down the page! They began the article talking about "big bucks" so I was wondering if Wikileaks found this info for them....

Sean

They probably considered just photography work. Kelby probably makes the majority of his money from books/seminars about photography.

Exactly. Scott Kelby is a writer, teacher, and manager of a very lucrative Photoshop-affiliated business who knows a lot of good photographers, but I don't think he makes a lot of his income by selling photographs.

>> So it's a "richest" list made without considering money... <<

And so is meaningless.

I don't make any attempt to stay current with celebrity photographers, but most of those images don't look especially extraordinary to me. One looks poorly exposed and I don't understand what effect the photographer was going for. Could I do better than most of these images? Probably not, but I don't claim to be even in the top million "richest" photographers.

I really do like that line of elephants, though. That's a haunting image.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I guess it's all a matter of perception, but BobC, I have to agree with you - when I looked at these, I didn't see anything that blew me away. Don't get me wrong, I think some of them are nice, and I certainly couldn't take these the way the pro photog's did, (and I'm certainly not trying to take anything away from the talent exhibited) but honestly - I've seen better here in the Cafe.

I guess it's all a matter of perception, but BobC, I have to agree with you - when I looked at these, I didn't see anything that blew me away. Don't get me wrong, I think some of them are nice, and I certainly couldn't take these the way the pro photog's did, (and I'm certainly not trying to take anything away from the talent exhibited) but honestly - I've seen better here in the Cafe.

It's a matter of self promotion or having people around you that are good promoters. Being a pro is more than being good, it's being great at business.

>> So it's a "richest" list made without considering money... <<

And so is meaningless.

I don't make any attempt to stay current with celebrity photographers, but most of those images don't look especially extraordinary to me. One looks poorly exposed and I don't understand what effect the photographer was going for. Could I do better than most of these images? Probably not, but I don't claim to be even in the top million "richest" photographers.

It's called Marketing :wink:
See: Thomas Kinkade

If the "Top ten richest photographers in the world" list isn't based on money then it might just as well be a more or less another random "just ten photographers" list…

Latest threads

Top Bottom