The tragic situation in Japan. I was a witness to it. Please Read.

Geoff, it has been a whirl since getting back. Trying to get the word out, editing, family stuff, I just can't do it all.

I realised I should have put a more descriptive title for the thread! Can it be changed or simply deleted and I will start afresh?

5585341645_5b2b453bdc_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
[/IMG]

This 3 storey building is one of the very few left standing in the town of Minami Sanriku. Fishing nets hang from the 30 foot high roof. Population 17,000, with an estimated 10,000 deaths......

An eerie silence as we stand before it, punctuated only by the calls of seabirds, and the blades of a broken cooler fan knocking against a smashed window.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
This is a very sad photo and the devastation is unbelievable. I'm glad you are safe.

To change a title, go into "Edit", then click on "Go Advanced". You'll then be able to change the title of your thread; don't forget to save it.

Thanks for the picture, and especially the Wordpress story. Incredible—it's impossible to really understand the situation without first-person reports like yours. Thanks.

Thank you all. The Mod team have kindly agreed that I can post the link for OGA for Aid. This is their 'donate' page.

http://oga-international.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=144&Itemid=270&lang=en

If you have been following the news (such as it is) you'll know there was a second quake within the last 12 hours. Of lower magnitude, and I haven't heard back from all the team on the ground yet. Communication lines are mostly out, net access is sporadic at best.

I'll try to post some more pix as I get time.

Thanks

Peter

The situation in Japan is hell on earth. There was a 7.1 magnitude aftershock in the Sendai area which is causing ever more misery and damaged Nikon's factory. If you thought things were bad before....

Next time you stub your toe, or the dentist says you need a new crown, just remember how lucky you are to not be trapped in that mess.

On a lighter note, Wayne, how are you liking the muggy afternoon we have today?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks folks. I was fortunate enough to be able to get back to Miyagi-ken a few days ago. Shooting for OGA (the aid organisation), and 57 in Roppongi, who are doing a sterling job of holding fund-raising events.

Accompanied one of the teams on a delivery to a couple of outlying refuges, and shot some lit stuff with the team leader, who is a thoroughly charming lady.

Untold disaster like nuclear holocaust. Now we have hot reactors they really do not know what to do with on top of earthquake and floods.

One could not write a book script this bad.

Latest threads

Top Bottom