The Ultimate Monopod Head? Wimberley Monogimbal Head Review

I remember seeing a video from someone in Europe, where he turned a regular ball head 90 degrees, so the neck of the ball head went into the notch that is used to make portrait orientation shots. At that point it functions similarly.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I found a used MH-100 today and ordered it. It’d come down to flushing the monopod or trying a head that I might like. These things don’t show up used very often, I’ve been looking for awhile.
If you don't like it, let me know! LOL!

On the trip to Costa Rica, one guy did not have a tripod. He only used a monopod and the MH-100 with the 600mm for the whole trip. He didn't even have any other lenses! He was very adept as using it. He followed Steve Perry's advice on how to mount and use it.

Karen, the MH-100 arrived yesterday, I was in a meeting last night, I’d opened the box just before the meeting started. I was fiddling around with the thing on my desk; no monopod or lens on it. Everyone in the meeting wanted to know what I was fooling around with, they found it mildly entertaining. My initial thoughts were “There is no way this thing will work”. It had been a busy day, I’d been running around since 8am, and it was almost 10pm but I wanted to see what it could do so post meeting I put it on my monopod, attached a 300mm f2.8 and D500 to it. Took a couple of minutes to watch Steve Perry balance the thing on Youtube and get my setup balanced. The light shined down on me from up high - this thing really works - and it works great. I then tried walking with it over my back - it’s a gift from heaven…or where ever good gifts come from. I can finally use my monopod, it’s sat in the closet for 6 years. You have to get one of these, it will change your life.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Karen, the MH-100 arrived yesterday, I was in a meeting last night, I’d opened the box just before the meeting started. I was fiddling around with the thing on my desk; no monopod or lens on it. Everyone in the meeting wanted to know what I was fooling around with, they found it mildly entertaining. My initial thoughts were “There is no way this thing will work”. It had been a busy day, I’d been running around since 8am, and it was almost 10pm but I wanted to see what it could do so post meeting I put it on my monopod, attached a 300mm f2.8 and D500 to it. Took a couple of minutes to watch Steve Perry balance the thing on Youtube and get my setup balanced. The light shined down on me from up high - this thing really works - and it works great. I then tried walking with it over my back - it’s a gift from heaven…or where ever good gifts come from. I can finally use my monopod, it’s sat in the closet for 6 years. You have to get one of these, it will change your life.
Thanks so much for posting this. I think.....! LOL! Spending my money, you are....! I tried one in Costa Rica......but it was set up for a guy much taller and stronger than me. I handed it back pretty quickly. One concern I have it carrying the 7 lb 600mm and heavy Z9 on the "single" leg over my shoulder....

I think it would work to carry that setup. The lens rests on the top part of my back and is sort of comfortable. it’s a very nicely designed device. If you’re ever out this way (Sandpoint, ID) you’re more than welcome to borrow mine.

I recently picked up the MH-100 and was able to give it a good workout this past week. When shooting sports I never wanted or needed to use a monopod head. A monopod when shooting wildlife requires too much vertical movement for a monopod, the MH-100 is the solution. I'd prefer to just handhold but I get fatiqued when needing to be in a shooting position for extended periods. I've been on a few whale watching boats recently and couldn't make the monopod work on a rocking boat. The boat and my body seem to move out of sync and keeping my eye on the viewfinder was a challenge. This was with the Z 600 TC.

Next I added a flag pole harness and it worked much better. Still can be a challenge on a rocking boat but at least the monopod isn't going one way on the boat while my body is leaning the opposite way to balance. It also works while sitting. It works equally well on land when wanting to quickly position towards any direction or even if just standing still. Carrying a big lens is an added benefit, it balances perfectly across the shoulder and the lens foot no longer cuts into my back while wanting to twist like it used to without a monopod head. I found the harness a benefit when shooting from a sandy beach, the monopod was just not stable in the sand. Using the ground is always an option if the situation allows. There would be more room to bend your knees and tilt the lens up to follow that eagle flying over your head. I'm not sure if the harness setup gives as much body adjustment for that.

The MH-100 has twisted loose from the monopod once and I need to be mindful of that and make sure it is tight. I know some add a RRS quick release but I don't think I need to do that.

I'm a fan.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
After reading this thread, and watching Steve Perry's video about it, I took the plunge also! I haven't used my Gitzo monopod in ages and I'm psyched to get out with it and the MH-100. And Karen just might know what lens I plan to mount on it!:D
Looking forward to your review!

Latest threads

Top Bottom