The Underground that's over ground

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by DanielD, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Hello, last weekend I strolled around in Berlin Kreuzberg where you can find Berlin's most famous Underground line. In fact it was planned and built as an elevated railway with only a small part under ground but over the year with more and more underground stations and other underground lines it referred to as an underground line, line 1.

The main (elevated) part was finished 1902 and runs through the heart of the urban district Kreuzberg.

[​IMG]
    from station Prinzenstra├če

[​IMG]
    station Kottbusser Tor

Unfortunately, during WW2 the line and its station buildings were damaged and most stations couldn't be rebuilt to their former state. To give an impression on how most of the stations looked like here's an old photo from 1903 (not the station above):

758px-U-Bahn_Berlin_B%C3%BClowstra%C3%9Fe_2.

As you can see, some stations look very simple now:
    [​IMG]

That's me kidding around with the mirror the train driver uses to watch the platform:
    [​IMG]

This one is taken from the station "Schlesisches Tor" which was the end of the line while Berlin was split by the wall.
    [​IMG]

The station itself:
    [​IMG]

from below:
    [​IMG]

a few more here.

I think I'll take some more pics of the line this summer, found this to be a nice theme.

Thanks for looking, C&C appreciated.

2. Very interesting essay and history Daniel, thank you!

3. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Ditto Gretchen's post!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice
    Interesting for sure

5. All are excellent but my favorite is the shot taken near "Schlesisches Tor". I like the curve for a great train photo and the sky really adds drama.

6. Very nice series Daniel, thanks for sharing.

7. Thanks all for the kind comments.

Glad you like it, it took me about half an hour to take it as everytime the train was arriving the sun was covered by a cloud!

8. Very nice Daniel, the trains against the backdrop of those buildings is wonderful.

9. I love the series. I love trains. Very nice.