The Vermont Plains??

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Harry Lavo, May 20, 2007.

1. Normally I associate vast "plain" shots with the west. Here is one from the mountain country of the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Shot is from the ridge of a high plateau west of West Burke, looking towards the mountain at East Burke.

I deliberately used the widest angle at my disposal to create a sense of scale for the lone house in the view. Would you arrange or crop the shot differently, and if so, where and how?

Here's my only attempt at a crop. I don't like it as me it loses the sense of scale. What would you do?

2. sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Hi Harry,

I would crop most of the sky and at least 2/3 of the foreground shadow area. It would look like a panorama, but I feel that's what the picure really is.

Just my 2 cents. Of course advice is dirt cheap and worth every penny.
  3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    hello Harry,

I would echo what sfoxjohn said and do some cropping of the image, however, with the great deal of space at the bottom in the dark areas and the large area in the sky without clouds, getting a sense of scale would be difficult.

to arrange the shot better I would step forward out of the shadows and wait for some interesting clouds and lights in the sky, also place the building a touch more in the image and not so far to the edge of the frame, about a third is the accepted norm. Right now the image is confused about subject and point of focus.

Ok I see that you posted a new crop, which I do like a lot better, getting a sense of scale and the wide vistas actually needs sometimes a strong foreground subject or as in your 2nd crop the dark areas helps to lock things in a bit on the image. Granted it doesn't give the wide valley as the first shot, but it is a more interesting image.