The Volleyball Player

A lot of work but the results show.
Thank you...I learned a lot by doing this.
Thanks for sharing this, Glenn. Well done with the lighting.
Thank you, Dave
Thanks for sharing the lighting. I have to figure out the green screen stuff next.
The green screen worked great for the pictures of the boys on my baseball team. It was easier with the boys since they all have short hair.

This volleyball player has long hair--and that presented more of a challenge for me with the green screen. I probably had too much light on the green screen and some green spilled forward into her hair...that made it a real mess to fix in Photoshop. Next time I'll have to be a lot more precise with how I light that background.

Glenn

Thank you...I learned a lot by doing this.

Thank you, Dave

The green screen worked great for the pictures of the boys on my baseball team. It was easier with the boys since they all have short hair.

This volleyball player has long hair--and that presented more of a challenge for me with the green screen. I probably had too much light on the green screen and some green spilled forward into her hair...that made it a real mess to fix in Photoshop. Next time I'll have to be a lot more precise with how I light that background.

Glenn
I wondered about that. I always meter the back of
the head on my white backgrounds to make sure it is 1.5-2 stops less than the front. I figure green screen would be the same.

I wondered about that. I always meter the back of
the head on my white backgrounds to make sure it is 1.5-2 stops less than the front. I figure green screen would be the same.
That's kind of what I figured. But, white spill isn't nearly as deadly as green spill from the background. With green spill, the extraction process isn't so easy.

Glenn

Real Name
Andy
I already commented on the excellence of the photo, and the more I look at it the more I like it. But I wanted to add that this thread is precisely the kind of content that really makes this forum so valuable.

An excellent image. I love your use of rim lighting, I've seen one light used successfully but you're going the extra mile and using two, though I do see that quite often in shots of body builders, athletes etc. I also got a quiet chuckle thinking of your hair light suspended on a bungee cord. Whatever works! I still have four of Paul C. Buffs White Lightning strobes from back in the mid '80s, evidently his equipment is very well made. As you said, having the space to use them is always a challenge. Leaving them up and ready for use for me would be ideal.
Thank you for the diagram, they're always super helpful in visualizing setups.
Jarrell

I already commented on the excellence of the photo, and the more I look at it the more I like it. But I wanted to add that this thread is precisely the kind of content that really makes this forum so valuable.
I'm glad it as helpful.
An excellent image. I love your use of rim lighting, I've seen one light used successfully but you're going the extra mile and using two, though I do see that quite often in shots of body builders, athletes etc. I also got a quiet chuckle thinking of your hair light suspended on a bungee cord. Whatever works! I still have four of Paul C. Buffs White Lightning strobes from back in the mid '80s, evidently his equipment is very well made. As you said, having the space to use them is always a challenge. Leaving them up and ready for use for me would be ideal.
Thank you for the diagram, they're always super helpful in visualizing setups.
Jarrell
Thanks Jarrell...yes, the bungee cord was used out of necessity! Ideally, I would have had another light stand with a boom arm...but everything that I own in terms of studio equipment was already in place. So, I set the SB-800 to slave mode (manual power) and it would trigger each time the strobes went off. It actually worked quite well.

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom