The Watcher

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Part I.

[​IMG]

Part II.

[​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    We are watching you watching the person watching the watcher. Whew, watch out.

3. I prefer 'Part I', mostly because of the reflection on the table adds another dimension. But then again the second person in 'Part II' adds mystery to the scene... Both are dramatic and captivating.

But you really should wash your window!

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I think that we ARE the second person in the first picture.

5. Lol! Good one Chris!:smile:

Lynn, you are 100% correctomundo on these! It would seem that these fall into the "close but no cigar" category! :smile: By the way that's a long hallway in an old YMCA building that now houses artists' studios. The reflection is that of the window and that's the hallway floor. I think that these images will go into my "also ran" files. Thanks for the input!

PS - I don't do windows!!!:biggrin:

R-i-i-g-h-t! That being said I'm thinking these don't work as I originally previsualized them! Oh well, I can but try harder next time!

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ray, what were your initial ideas for these that you do not see here. I see these photos falling right in with a couple others you have recently posted. Particularly Visitors, Exits and to an extent, Radical Light.

I'm looking forward to 'next time' - this 'dark and looking into the light' series is some of your most exciting work to date, and is quite inspiring to me!

7. I don't know Chris as I'm not very good at analyzing my own images. It could be many things - composition, lack of a rim light on the main subject, dynamics, failed previsualization!

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That is what I suspected you were going for. Do you mind a little suggestion? Ok then: give more light to the window. To suggest something going on outside, you need only very minimal suggestion - you could possibly burn in the window to bring it out, even if overexposed by a couple more stops. I see nice rim lighting in the first one, but it's dim. A couple more stops would probably bring it right out.

Or not. :Curved:

But I DO like the progression of adding another person when moving back. I know what you mean though. Sometimes it is very difficult to bring what you see in your mind's eye onto the film!

9. Ray,

I understand your position exactly. That is why I have started using an editor. I love taking pictures, the actual act of tripping the shutter, and I really enjoy developing my film, watching the images come to life on a piece of emulsion. But the part I do not enjoy is editing, because I am too tied to the act of the taking the photograph to be very objective. So my keepers are often rubbish, but I overlook other really good shots, because when I took that frame I had no feelings for the scene.

As for these two photographs of yours, I am not sure what to say. They both show great promise so I would print out a set of 8x10's tack them to the wall and live with them for a while.

I prefer the posture of the 'sitter' in the 'Part I', but am now finding the reflection in the foreground distracting. But what really gets my attention is what can be seen through the window behind the 'sitter'. The implied activity of the outside vs. the darkness and stillness of the inside, makes for a very tense and mysterious photograph.

So after all this bluster and waffling, the short answer is I prefer 'Part I'.