The Waterfall of the Gods - Godafoss, Iceland

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Continuing on our long ride from Husavik, to the several stops at and near Lake Myvatn and now on for awhile to get to Godafoss, the Waterfall of the Gods.

You need to put up with another story here. Iceland was settled in the 800's by the Vikings and established the first Parliment in the 900's. In the year 1000 the Parliment was to decide if they should convert from Paganism (Thor, Odin and those guys) to Christianity. One individual was finally elected to make the decision. He made the decision for Christianity and took all of his Pagan God Idols and threw them into this waterfall which has since been known as the Waterfall of the Gods, Godafoss in Icelandic.

Now you get to see the photos :biggrin:
    166255909-L.

The waterfall has about a 40 foot drop:
    166256001-L.

166256114-L.

Upstream:
    166256227-L.

Lots of rapids downstream:
    166256428-L.

And a nice little mistbow:
    166256755-L.

A smaller waterfall is downstream by this old lava tube:
    166256999-L.

And some of the exposed old lava cooled almost at the right speed to become Columnar Basalt:
    166256875-L.

We headed on to Akureyri and got back to our ship by dinnertime, it was an interesting day.

Bob & Nan

2. I like the shot with the guy in the red as he gives scale, and makes it dynamic.
    Id be inclined to clone out the guy on the far left as hes a distraction.
    Looks like a GREAT trip.

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks. It looks like such a beautiful place. I imagine I will never visit there so it's a treat to see your great photos.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    More very beautiful landscapes and waterfalls
    Rainbow looks nice to:>))))

5. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I really have enjoyed your series of images of iceland. Very Nicely Done !

Regards

RFC

6. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Bob, your entire series on Iceland are most enjoyable.

Many thanks!