the website i designed

hey guys. i just figured i would get some opinion on the website i designed. I am the webmaster for the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) at the University of Michigan. It is my job to design the website and this year I decided to do a complete redesign. Let me know what you guys think. For your information I did not take the photos on it so i don't need critique on them :)

enjoy

http://www.engin.umich.edu/societies/AICHE/AIChE/Home.html

I agree with Ryan. It's simple, well organized, neat and clean. Just like an engineer would like it to be.

Very utilitarian. I'm a fan.

i like it... especially how light it is. To be nit picky:

- The links under quicklinks, the little bullet ball and the text seem too close together, some padding on the left of the text would make it a little less cramped.

- The text to the right of the primary shape images... it might look cleaner to ditch the text centering and perhaps try the text-align: justify in the CSS. Same goes for the "Who We Are" in about us.

- The primary links don't seem to be centered vertically to the reddish background. Also the text seems to be too small/non dominant. Maybe try bolding it up or trying a better font.

Overall, it looks fine, but somewhat amateurish.

Specifically, the margins and alignment are inconsistent, jpegs are affecting the quality of logos that should have been rendered using gifs, low contrast between text and background on membership page submenu, a page exists that is "under construction." These are all easy technical fixes.

Things like page layout and flow are more subjective. Personally, I think the bright blue clashes with the pastel salmon color. I would use a more subdued blue throughout the site - maybe like the one from the logo on the mentorship page. And I would vertically center the main menu text.

Just my $0.02

thanks for all of your suggestions. in regards to the 'amateur' label. that is because it is. this is not a professional position. it is for a club at school. that being said i am wanting to make it look as professional as possible so i will definitely look into making the corrections that you guys have mentioned. it is all appreciated

Not bad, the only thing that bugs me is the banner and the headline text. I think if you changed those it would look much better. is the pink and blue a color scheme you have to keep?

the salmon and blue is not something i have to keep. The reason it is there is because the salmon color is provided by iWeb which is the software I am using to make the website. I want the blue because our school colors are Blue and Maize. So i guess I could change it all to salmon but I don't know if I would like that

the salmon and blue is not something i have to keep. The reason it is there is because the salmon color is provided by iWeb which is the software I am using to make the website. I want the blue because our school colors are Blue and Maize. So i guess I could change it all to salmon but I don't know if I would like that
Use the blue and maize instead of the blue and salmon

the problem with that is that the salmon is provided. i cant change that. unless someone knows how to change the default color of the navigation bar in iWeb. i read the help files and it wont let me change it

Looking through the HTML code, you would need to edit the div class somehow because the html doesn't show the color code at all.

Code:
  <div class="com-apple-iweb-widget-navbar flowDefining" id="widget0" style="margin-left: 15px; margin-top: -1px; opacity: 1; position: relative; width: 870px; z-index: 1;">
Maybe you could add a color=XXXXXX (Hex color if your choice) to the style line to see if that works.

The header font bugs me a lot also. The Extremely bright blue and white makes the text pop TOO much IMO. Maybe change the font, and color?

Latest threads

Top Bottom