The weight...

Discussion in 'People' started by srwatters, Mar 25, 2007.

1. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    I know it's a sin to crop off fingers, but to me this image screams for it.

Camera crop below...

Model: Tim
    MUA: Carly Erin

Nikon D200, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
    ISO 100, f/4, 1/250 @ 116mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments appreciated as always.

2. I agree with you on this Scott............. fantastic processing and lighting.

Very intense with the squarer/tighter crop emphasing this even more.

If it were me, I'd consider cropping some from the bottom of the image, up to where his wrist meets his sleeve...(his right wrist).......... I masked this off on my screen and, for me, it worked better............ but of course that's just me........... and what do I know!

Great work.... and amazing eyes! :eek: :eek: :eek:

G

3. I really like the fingers. But they do take away from that intense stare.. anyway, really cool shot!

4. Scott, excellent! Did you dodge his eyes, or are they really that pure white? I guess my years of wearing contacts has made me think that NOBODY should have eyes that white naturally...

5. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    No dodging on the eyes. He's 20 years old...

Here's another version I'm working on. Went back to the original and re-cropped. Just a slightly different B&W conversion.

[​IMG]

6. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    the eyes have it....great shot!!!

7. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    What would looks sweet cause you almost have the effect... Drop a green screen on his neck and make sure it covers all of his shirt. Then have him tilt his head up more. Have him hold his head differently so he looks like he is holding A head that is without a body. Yes I am silly, but I think it would look cool

8. Courtland

Courtland

Oct 19, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I like the first very much. The second made me think of antlers with the fingers. It could be my bad eyes and alcohol induced, blurry vision though.

=Courtland

9. sergeantcigar

sergeantcigar

Jan 3, 2007
    USA
    What do you think of cropping all his fingers, about 1/3 to 1/2 down his forehead? It doesn't look as awkward, and you still get the close up of the face.

10. sonton2003

sonton2003

Jan 9, 2006
    Nice shot, I feel that it should be a landscape crop IMO.

And shouldn't it be "wait"?

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I like the 1st shot very much. About the only thing I'd suggest would be to vertically level his head more. The cropped fingers work great. All of them detract from the image too much.

12. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Sin...... Shmin!:smile: The crop works beautifully and helps *make* this photo as great as it is. I like the squareness of the first crop, but I like that you lost the distraction over his left shoulder in the second version.

13. Wow, you're goooooood!!

What would it look like if you removed the softbox reflection in his eyes?

_/oe

14. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Do you mean the white card reflections at the bottom and left of the iris' or the actual strobe catchlights? I would think his eyes might look 'dead' without the strobe lights.

And thanks Joe! I think I'm more lucky than good :redface:

15. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Final version delivered to Tim and printed for his agency:

Tim027cbw.

16. Man...............that's one powerful image. Bet he was really happy with it.