The Wilds - #5

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by bobhoge, Jul 19, 2007.

1. We visited The Wilds in Southeast Ohio. See the long writeup I did in Wanderlust here: On Safari In Ohio! - The Wilds

They have lots of strange animals to photograph. None of these are cropped and I'll show the focal length so you can see what lens you might want for your visit there.

Giraffe - 400mm/400mm/145mm/400mm
    [​IMG]

Splayed for a drink
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sichuan Takin - a very strange beast, like a bear with horns and the face of a gerbil - 400mm/400mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enough, at least for now:tongue:
    Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots Bob
    Interesting animal..hummm

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Like the giraffe -- never heard of the Sichuan Takin -- what is its country of origin?

4. Hi Bob,

It seems that the Takin is the national animal of Bhutan and it is found in the eastern Himalaya mountains and into China. They are big and can weigh up to 2000 pounds!

You might live closer to The Wilds than any of our members, it is about 20 miles southeast of Zanesville. Any interest in going?

Bob

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks for the info Bob. From the photos, it doesn't look "furry" enough for that kind of climate -- looks like a lowland inhabitant. [Maybe I have Bhutan misplaced :confused:-- have to look that up.]
    Edit: Okay, from Wikipedia --"The landscape ranges from subtropical plains in the south to the Himalayan heights in the north, with some peaks exceeding seven thousand metres."

As for the Wilds, thanks for the invite, but I'm not into controlled type situations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  6. I like takin. They remind me of musk oxen without the shaggy coat but with moutaineering skills.
    It looks like an interesting place, I'll bet there will be lots of babies around by next summer.

Alan

7. Bob, impressive series of animals. Looks as if that park has some nice spots to take pictures from. The harsh light seems to make it difficult to make the pictures pop, though.