The Wilds - Safari in the Midwest

Real Name
Andrew

The Wilds is a non-profit conservation preserve that focus' on animals, trying to provide education to the masses as well as care for and reintroduce near extinct species back into the wild. They have several tour options. The most immersive is the "Wildside Tour", in which up to 8 people travel off road into the habitats and get to experience the animals that are there up close. Kind of like an African or Asian safari in the midwest of the United States. The Wilds is located about an hour east of Columbus, Ohio in a town called Cumberland. The facility is 10,000 acres and was re-purposed in the 1950's as a conservation area. It was formerly a strip mining location.

The wife and I decided to forgo the usual July 4th (american independence day) festivities and spend the day experiencing The Wilds once again. We had been here before, but it was many years ago, and we had never taken this specific tour.

Here are a few images from that day.

Gear used:
Nikon D500
Nikon 300mm f/4E PF
Olympus OMD EM5 Mark II
Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8

I figured that I would need the longer focal length more, but didn't want to have to switch about lenses in the dusty environment. So I brought along the m43 camera just in case. Under each image I put which camera took the image. All pics from the 300mm were shot wide open at f/4, the m43 images were either f/2.8 or f/4.

Pere David's Deer - only survived because of European captive animals programs. This male is looking down at the alpha and his herd
Nikon

They attract females by covering themselves in dung and mud, then ripping clumps of grass and flowers from the ground and parading around with them in their rack. This was the current alpha male
Nikon

Female zebras

Scimitar-Horned Oryx

Female white rhino

My wife getting a quick phone pick of the rhino herd

Male ostrich is very interested in us....and air biting.

We first met a female ostrich, but she was chased off quickly by this male...then he came back up to our truck and wanted to follow us around for quite a while. He was very curious

Banteng calf hiding in the tall grasses with mom

The Sammy Davis Jr of Fringe Eared Oryx's

African Painted Dog. Was hyper active because the facility was currently mowing grass outside the habitat

Giraffe wants his romaine lettuce

18 inch tongue wraps around that yummy stuff

Close up

Wow! This place is quite nice, and they are doing good work. We have done the Photo Tour at the San Diego Wildlife park, much like this but I suspect a bit smaller, as well as Safaris West in California. Have to add this to our list of trips. Those Giraffes sure have incredible tongues, don't they?

Real Name
Andrew
Wow! This place is quite nice, and they are doing good work. We have done the Photo Tour at the San Diego Wildlife park, much like this but I suspect a bit smaller, as well as Safaris West in California. Have to add this to our list of trips. Those Giraffes sure have incredible tongues, don't they?

They do have amazing tongues! lol

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom