The Wilds - Second Visit

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by bobhoge, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Nan & I made our second trip to The Wilds in eastern Ohio. This time we took the open sided bus and the weather was cooler than last time. That combined for some better photos.

The strange Sichuan Takin were a lot closer this time (70mm):
    343331811_NGqdJ-XL.

(80mm)
    343331537_LoAPF-XL.

(300mm)
    343331459_5demq-XL.

The Giraffe (Reticulated & Rothchild's & Masai) herd was also very close (110mm)
    343329636_TPfe6-XL.

(400mm)
    343329294_GESmM-XL.

The herd of Przewalski's Wild Horses were also right by the bus (80mm)
    343328959_HJRfh-XL.

(120mm)
    343328458_xzrVH-XL.

Also close by was a female One-horned Rhino (240mm):
    343328035_n47NW-XL.

With her posing baby (340mm):
    343327837_hzYev-XL.

Bob & Nan

2. Marina

Marina Guest

These are great!! I don't think i've ever seen Sichuan Takin before, what an interesting creature!!

3. Can't help but love those wild horses! Nice shots all around! Looks like ya'll had a lot of fun there too!

4. Bob and Nan,
    wonderful series
    and....
    thanks for teaching me:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takin

i had NO idea about that unusual creature
    i appreciate the education

5. It looks as strange in-person as in the photos. It seems to be a goat relative, but is quite large, almost bear-like in appearance. The national animal of Bhutan.

Bob

6. Hi Dianne,

We were not the only ones having fun at The Wilds... In the second photo, do you detect a look of lust:rolleyes:  in the eye of the stallion (to the right) in the second wild horse photo? Since this is a family rated place I'll just give a link to the photo of what happened next:
    http://bob-nan.smugmug.com/gallery/3173819_ZGmiN#343328534_JjJqa

Przewalski's Wild Horses have never been domesticated, unlike other most "wild" horses that are descended from domesticated horses. Genghis Khan tried to domesticate them in the 1200's, but was unsuccessful.

Bob & Nan

7. I love the first takin photo and the rhinos are wonderful too.

Alan

8. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice series. Thanks for the Takin shots. Checked it out on Wikipedia since I hadn't heard of them before. (Thanks to Greg for the link.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.