The Winds Of Change

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eng45ine, Nov 17, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Woke up this morning to see some terrible news on my thermometer.....10 degrees!!!:Bohoo: It got even worse when the meteorologist on the television said that the wind chill was below zero. Time to find a pair of gloves and cut the index finger tip off the right one so I can press the shutter release. Why oh why do we live in this climate?????????????

2. That's why I am a FORMER Chicagoan! :biggrin: A wonderful place to be from but not be in, in the winter, at least.

Whenever I visit, at Christmastime for example, the muscle memory of my body recalls those cold arctic blasts on Addison waiting for the bus to Lane Tech High School. Must be the near frostbite I endured as a kid.

Now waiting at the same stop to go to a Cubs game at the friendly confines of Wrigley Field...that's a different matter!

Rich

3. I feel your pain, Frank. We have a cold front coming in here today too. The high is suppose to be down to the mid-hi 70s! Brrrrrr. :rolleyes:

I grew up 8 hrs north of you so I do understand your misery. But living in Florida at this time of year certainly brings a smile to my face when I see the weather up north!

Stay warm!!!

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    As much as I despise winter and the cold, I don't think I could live in an area that is so prone to hurricanes. My task at hand is to find a job that allows me to be near coastal MA for the spring, summer and fall and the Barbados for the winter. (The Humpbacks have the right idea, summer in New England, winter in the Carribean!!)

5. I left the snow belt in 1992, and haven't felt any longing to go back!

Chicago, New Jersey, Colorado, etc.

Sometimes I miss the snow, but not often. :wink:

6. In several magazines, St. George, Utah has been rated as one of the top places to retire. It is beautiful around here and the winters are great (no snow) with sunshine almost every day of the year. It was just rated as the second fastest growing city (percentage wise) in the USA. Cost of living is fairly low and the price of housing is great.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread...interesting to know who lived in the area but moved and those who would never live in the area...I always chuckle at the ones that live here and say that they could never move anywhere warm because they you miss the changing seasons. Those people need counseling!!!

8. Gordon, how is it you don't get snow in St George but Salt Lake gets large amounts of snow? Interesting.

9. We are 300 miles south from Salt Lake and in a part of state they call Utah's Dixie. The college is even called Dixie. It is a rare occassion that it would snow here and even more rare that it would stay on the ground. Salt Lake City is considerably higher than St. George as well.

10. I live in a climate where we don't see snow that much either. There have been many years here in VA Beach where we didn't get any snow but there are some winters we do get snow. I would rather live with the hurricanes which we get sometimes than to live in a snowbelt. However I did live in PA until I graduated and so I know what snow and cold is but when I graduated, I got out of there and went south to Virginia and here is where I will stay.

11. Sorry for all you northerners, but not to rub it in.. I am a former Michiganian and now live out here in balmy Southern California where today the tmep is in the mid 80s and sunny...
    :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

12. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    As a former Northerner (by way of the UK to CT), I do NOT miss those winters. I just love the relatively mild seasonal changes here in SoCal. My family feels the same way and they were born in CT/NY. But St George sounds good...

13. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Gordon - Do you work for the Chamber of Commerce in St George?? That's a great plug for your town you wrote!

I do miss the changing seasons since I was raised in Missouri, but it's nice to be able to play golf all year with the only seasonal problems being that occasional frost delay interrupting an early morning round in January or February. BUT, on the other side of the coin, I sure wish our summers were a little shorter and less humid. I guess it's a plus & minus situation anywhere you live -- except for Gordon!!

14. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Our local weather report: "Highs today 85 with a chance of Windward and Mauka showers. Overnight lows around 75". This forcast would apply 360 days a year in Hawaii......the other 5 days it gets up to 89.

(wink) I'm lieing a little....in Winter we often get cold spells where daytime temps hover around 78-80. Buuuuuur! Occasionally it gets down to 70 or 72 overnight during Winter and we all shiver and put our Polortecs on. Really. I never understood how someone could get chilly at those temps untill I lived here 7-8 years. Your blood thins down they say.

-a former Nebraska boy who used to tolerate below zero temps in February!

15. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Don't feel bad Frank, you are not alone. I get to enjoy this great weather along with you.

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    As I posted to you in Jerrell's thread...I think that our winter weather is a character builder!!!

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Cruel Mike...you are very cruel!!!! :redface:

18. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Huh, here in Alaska we've had snow on the ground for a couple months now. We live for the fun of winter, but we also love summers (though we can and frequently do have snow in summer as well!)

19. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi Frank sorry about the cold weather coming you way but last night we got the news that another tropical system is heading our way. Ill trade you.

20. Frank, winter is coming to my city too. We are 'cooling' down to about 20 (70 F).:biggrin: Thus morning I went for a fund-raising hike and it's just the right weather for the event. Because the weather was so fine, I managed to complete the 12 km hike well within my target of 2 hours.

My only experience with winter snow was when I was in UK many years ago, and I don't miss it.