1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The wonder of it all......

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Harry Lavo, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Excuse the cat shot, but just yesterday I was leafing through my collection of Popular Photography magazines and was a bit startled to be reminded that as of early 2003 the magazine was still testing film cameras and lenses, and debating whether or not digital would ever outdo film...and it was only in 2005 that I took the plunge into digital.

...today my new 35mm f1.8 DX lens arrived from B&H. I put it on my D300, did the obligatory brick wall test, and then, since it was raining, drafted my cat Lenny into posing in my poorly lit living room.

A $200 lens on a modestly-priced DX camera and yet I was able to get perfectly good, sharp mixed light shots with no CA nor appreciable noise, at f/2.2-2.8 and iso3200. Even two years ago with my D50 or D1H and older lenses this would not have been possible. As photographers we have been truly blessed....even those of us without D700's and 14-24mm lenses. Virtually anything we can see, we can capture....and without breaking the bank.

Anybody else feel that way?

Nikon D300, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX 1/30s f/2.8 at 35.0mm iso3200
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I agree with your sentiments.

That's a great shot....but the cat looks like a reluctant model. He has this expression, ..."are you finished?!" :smile:

3. He humors me, so long as I feed him. :wink:

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Awesome shot Harry! :smile:

I agree too - you can get great results these days without needing to spend a fortune, although you can spend a fortune too if you want! :tongue:

5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Sounds like my kids. :wink:

I love that shot though. Make a great poster!

6. Harry you speak for all of us--you say what we all ought to think! Amazing, isn't it?

7. The lens is great, even more so with the price. It should have been introduced earlier, but at least it's here now.

To me, it's a "no-brainer" to add to a kit. Cheap, sharp, punchy colors/contrast, and versatile.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  8. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Great shot Larry. The cat looks ******.
    But since when did Digital out do film? Im serious , did I miss the memo. Out to lunch. Cat napping.

9. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Lenny does not look amused with you! Great shot, though.

10. I had a quick play with a 35/1.8 in a shop a month or so ago and it went straight on to the list of things to get.

As to film, to me it's history. Digital may still have the odd disadvantage but as I used to use transparency film, digital's dynamic range isn't one of them. It wasn't just magazines that were slow to grasp the digital era, most of the film companies didn't really see it coming either.

Even though the cat looks fed up, he stayed put. One of ours does a runner whenever he hears my SB-800 powering up.

11. I agree. That's why I need to upgrade my D50!

12. Have you been speaking to my wife?
    D3X 14-24 24-70 80-400VR SB400 SB900 + GITZO MONOPOD AND GITZO TRIPOD

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  13. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    ISO 3200?!?! Dang! Great shot, Harry!

14. BobC

BobC

Jan 3, 2006
    Upstate New York
    Harry,

You say it well. The equipment we have today can give remarkable results in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer (obviously such as yourself!).

I suppose there are situations where film is more appropriate than digital, but I haven't felt a need to shoot any film since 2002, except to exercise my film camera about once a year.

I'm very pleased with the results I get with my D300 in bright light and dim.

15. I'm with you too, Harry. I have a pretty modest kit by the standards of this forum, yet I know that my photographs are not limited by equipment - only by me.

16. I'm not sure digital "outdoes" film, but it's certainly made photography a helluva lot more convenient - and therefore accessible to the masses who otherwise wouldn't know stop bath from a cold shower . I also think that digital has taken a lot of the pure art out of photography and replaced it with science. I guess that's why I just bought an old F100. I'll actually be forced to think before I release the shutter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.