The wonderful colors of a sunrise

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mainuh, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Mainuh

Mainuh

Feb 20, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I don't think I'll ever tire of getting up early and going out to shoot a sunrise. When you can get a few clouds in the sky to really reflect the colors it's amazing to watch from about 40 minutes prior to sunrise until the sun comes up and even a little after. These shots were taken this past weekend at Wolf's Neck State Park in South Freeport, Maine (just a few miles from the LL Bean mothership). There were probably somewhere between 1000-1500 geese in a mile and a half square area and there was constant chatter among them, even before sunrise. This series was taken from the same spot (within 150 yds anyway), but the color changes in the sky and clouds are really cool. The island you see is typically home to an Osprey family during nesting season.

432580244_311afda2e1_o.

432584413_8ca5e583ca_o.

432584333_d09b561fa0_o.

432580376_5d36538fa5_b.

2. well worh the effort don!

3. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Beautiful shots, Don. They're all great, but I seem to be most drawn to the 3rd one. It may be the contrast of the cool blue to the hot yellows and reds.

Mike

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very beautiful images
    Love the birds flying through:>))

5. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Nice, Don. Very nice!

My favorites are one and three.

6. Mainuh

Mainuh

Feb 20, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Thanks for the comments all! I almost didn't go out that morning as it appeared to be a boring completely blue sky, but as I headed NE to get there I saw that wonderful cloud and hoped it would stick around, which it did!

7. Beautiful colors. Very nice captures, Don.

8. Great shots Don, I like the last one most, the colours are wonderful and I can imagine the sound of the birds -- Geese or Ducks ? - heralding the start of another day.
    Thanks for showing,
    Roy.

9. I love that last shot - the birds add to the mood.

10. MJAM

MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Love how those angled colors pull you across the image. Excellent, Mike

11. Mainuh

Mainuh

Feb 20, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Thanks Roy... There were ducks and geese, but the geese were the ones making all the noise.

Thanks Phil, Mike & Vern for your comments too!