The world and coronavirus.

I've been checking the updates on covid-19 around the world. This morning I watched it tick over past 1 million cases.
many countries are in some form of lockdown - I fear many of them are simply stalling the spread because 3 weeks of partial
isolation isn't going to stop it. This is going to lighten the load on hospitals to a degree while having a huge impact on the
economy. My family in South Africa are in a 3 week lockdown where they aren't allowed to even walk their dog but the [van] taxis
are allowed to operate. Their 'control' for the virus is to limit 7 people per load instead of the usual "packed to capacity" 15 or so.
In New Zealand we've been in lockdown for a week now and of course there are many cases of 'covidiots' who don't
obey the rules and I imagine this is the case around the world.
There was also a report in one area where security cameras are being stolen - probably someone who can't rob houses while
everyone is home so they are doing a 'clean up' to make it easier when this is over.
Tourism amounts to about 17% of New Zealand's income and of course there are many who are guaranteed to be unemployed
still when the lockdown is over for the rest of us and we keep our borders closed to infected countries.
If NZ gets this under control it is still going to carry on for more than a year on the continents as the waves go back and forth across
the countries that try to contain it.

The numbers double every week based on the graphs - it will be 2 million cases by 10 April 2020.
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 7.17.11 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 7.04.21 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Now it's May 1, 2020.

Here's hoping that none of the Cafe members are struck down. My brother-in-law caught it from NYC public transportation and/or his work with NYC housing authority. He died 4/20/20. My wife and I came to NYC to take care of her mother. "Yea though I walk through the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil...."

Desmond: Agree with you totally. Glad your jaw is OK now.

Everybody else: Stay safe, stay healthy, keep taking pictures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now it's May 1, 2020.

Here's hoping that none of the Cafe members are struck down. My brother-in-law caught it from NYC public transportation and/or his work with NYC housing authority. He died 4/20/20. My wife and I came to NYC to take care of her mother. "Yea though I walk through the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil...."

Desmond: Agree with you totally. Glad your jaw is OK now.

Everybody else: Stay safe, stay healthy, keep taking pictures.
Thanks - this morning someone invited me to a fb group in South Africa - hordes of people who can't even spell protesting about "losing their freedom" and how stupid the lockdown is. Basically they are doomed - people will fight against it, containment won't happen and they will only understand when the hospitals are maxed out and people are dying in their droves.

JLH

I was speaking to an old and dear friend who lives in another state today. He is a normally high intelligent and educated person but today he told me how he thought the lock down was a waste of time and they should just let people go about their lives. He said some will get it, some will not, some will recover and some will die and that is just the way it is. He felt that we needed "Herd immunity". I disagreed with him but I know I didn't change his mind. I think with him its the fact that he works very hard and he is thinking about all the folks that need to get back to work to make money to pay bills and such. I am blessed and retired in a decent position so this whole thing doesn't impact me, other than not going out.
I wish everyone well and I hate to see anyone die from a bad decision.

I was speaking to an old and dear friend who lives in another state today. He is a normally high intelligent and educated person but today he told me how he thought the lock down was a waste of time and they should just let people go about their lives. He said some will get it, some will not, some will recover and some will die and that is just the way it is. He felt that we needed "Herd immunity". I disagreed with him but I know I didn't change his mind. I think with him its the fact that he works very hard and he is thinking about all the folks that need to get back to work to make money to pay bills and such. I am blessed and retired in a decent position so this whole thing doesn't impact me, other than not going out.
I wish everyone well and I hate to see anyone die from a bad decision.
This may help, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

The idea of the herd immunity being effective would be a lot more reassuring if we at least knew that people who contract the virus become immune to it. If this virus is like so many other viruses, that indeed will happen. But we don't yet know if it's true about this virus. Until we've got that confirmed, the concept of herd immunity isn't even applicable.

I like reading up on the latest CV news, but WaPO, NYT, CNN, and most of the Brit press are just too predictable.
New Mexico is locking down the roads to a couple of towns. Eventually everyone will have to come up for air, and the virus will be there.

I suppose if we stay totally isolated for a long long time then there will be good treatments on line (maybe even a vaccine, but by then there will be no world left to return to). Trouble is we are only able to lock down about 30% if we want police and groceries. So herd immunity will happen, just very slowly even if we get China style lock-folks-inside-their-house (worked good !).

So let me summarize the article (which btw is very interesting thank you):
-herd immunity is a theory that is based on a vaccination strategy
-it has been misappropriated and applied to a contamination strategy (without a vaccine existing)
-one of the main consequences is that this means a higher death toll (compared to isolation or vaccination)

When did we lose our moral compass?

The idea of the herd immunity being effective would be a lot more reassuring if we at least knew that people who contract the virus become immune to it. If this virus is like so many other viruses, that indeed will happen. But we don't yet know if it's true about this virus. Until we've got that confirmed, the concept of herd immunity isn't even applicable.
This is what I am struggling with,

What happens to the extra infected people who cannot fight off the virus?
They die.
I was sent documents from the hospital on survival rates here in the UK and I can tell you that herd immunity without a vaccine is very much a death sentence to a lot of people.
I can't agree with this.

JLH

The "Spanish Flu" came and left all on its own. No one knows just why. Some have theorized that it just killed off those who couldn't fight it and the ones who survived were then immune. Its estimate that one third of the world's population caught it. Millions died, there was never a cure found, it just stopped leaving a long trail of bodies behind. There is a great PBS show on it that was done a few years back and can still be viewed if you are a PBS subscriber.
With this current virus no one really knows yet. Some of the younger members of our family very possibly had it and survived but it was before wide spread testing was available. We have stayed away from them for safety's sake. Hopefully some day we can hug our kids and grand kids again.

So let me summarize the article (which btw is very interesting thank you):
-herd immunity is a theory that is based on a vaccination strategy
-it has been misappropriated and applied to a contamination strategy (without a vaccine existing)
-one of the main consequences is that this means a higher death toll (compared to isolation or vaccination)

When did we lose our moral compass?
I agree. Another term totally misused/misapplied in this pandemic is "quarantine." Quarantine is when you isolate the sick people. What we're doing, at least here in the US, is NOT quarantine!

Rant over. :)

Quarantine is when you isolate the sick people.
That's one kind of quarantine but another kind is when someone is isolated because it's not known whether they are sick. A person in that situation might have been exposed to a contagious disease that might still be dormant in their body and might later on become contagious. Rather than risk that someone in that situation infects the public, that person can be quarantined until it is proven whether or not they are sick.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom