The world and coronavirus.

There isn't one way to count, one way to win, and one way to test.
Think of this as an indefinitely long race with different rules for each team, different ways of travel for each team, and teams can quit whenever they want to. No one has ever run a race like this before. Lots of claims about who is winning, and they are ALL correct for their team at that point in the race. It will take a long time for all the teams to finish and for all the claims to be tested. Until then, wait it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apart from that article - I still think some countries are going to eventually just have to let it run its course if they can't do lockdown properly. As I've mentioned before, back in South Africa with all the poverty they have to let public transport keep running with limitations on the capacity - the taxis are generally Toyota Hiace vans and the limitation is "only 7 people per van". All they are doing is slowing the spread down while destroying their economy. Even for countries that do it properly they will have to totally shut their borders until their neighbouring countries can do the same - everyone will have to "build a wall and make the Mexicans pay for it".
The virus is going to still be alive somewhere in the world in a year or two so hopefully they find a cure for it because it is going to stay with us.

Apart from that article - I still think some countries are going to eventually just have to let it run its course if they can't do lockdown properly. As I've mentioned before, back in South Africa with all the poverty they have to let public transport keep running with limitations on the capacity - the taxis are generally Toyota Hiace vans and the limitation is "only 7 people per van". All they are doing is slowing the spread down while destroying their economy. Even for countries that do it properly they will have to totally shut their borders until their neighbouring countries can do the same - everyone will have to "build a wall and make the Mexicans pay for it".
The virus is going to still be alive somewhere in the world in a year or two so hopefully they find a cure for it because it is going to stay with us.
Not necessarily,

I was reading about the Flu of 1918/19/20 and this is what happened, the virus disappeared.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
It was mentioned that as the virus evolves it tends to become weaker.
"Another theory holds that the 1918 virus mutated extremely rapidly to a less lethal strain. This is a common occurrence with influenza viruses: there is a tendency for pathogenic viruses to become less lethal with time, as the hosts of more dangerous strains tend to die out[5] (see also "Deadly Second Wave", above). "

I found it a good read as, not dissimilar to the current situation, the USSG led a run on Aspirin which is claimed (but not agreed by all), was responsible for many deaths:
"
Aspirin poisoning
In a 2009 paper published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, Karen Starko proposed that aspirin poisoning contributed substantially to the fatalities. She based this on the reported symptoms in those dying from the flu, as reported in the post mortem reports still available, and also the timing of the big "death spike" in October 1918. This occurred shortly after the Surgeon General of the U.S. Army and the Journal of the American Medical Association both recommended very large doses of 8 to 31 grams of aspirin per day as part of treatment. These levels will produce hyperventilation in 33% of patients, as well as lung edema in 3% of patients.[124]

Starko also notes that many early deaths showed "wet", sometimes hemorrhagic lungs, whereas late deaths showed bacterial pneumonia. She suggests that the wave of aspirin poisonings was due to a "perfect storm" of events: Bayer's patent on aspirin expired, so many companies rushed in to make a profit and greatly increased the supply; this coincided with the Spanish flu; and the symptoms of aspirin poisoning were not known at the time.[124]
"
So what this tells me is not that we do not know, but that some with vested interests refuse to learn from the past.

Also look at what Japan is doing, $1,000 one off to everyone in the country, 100% wages covered for furlough or lay offs...

Where there is a will there is a way.

3 days in a row with no new cases in New Zealand - today was a drop to level two and shops opening their doors again. Work has been really slow but time will tell how things go with the boss telling us he will try as hard as he can not to let anyone go or ask us to take a pay cut.
As I say, time will tell.....

Looking good over here in New Zealand :)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The advantage of being on an island I suppose - but who knows what still awaits us and how it is going to
affect the rest of the world in the long term.

Congratulations NZ, well done... 👍👍

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom