The World Doesn't Revolve Aroud You!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam O, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    I like the Cafe, it's one of the few places I go to on a regular basis. But as it grows I'm starting to see inklings of DPReview. While I don't think it will ever get that bad, I don't even want to see it come close.

If Nikon or any company for that matter releases a product that you don't want, it doesn't mean they're idiots. The world doesn't revolve around you nor does Nikon, so get over it.

It's a big world out there with a lot of people with differing wants, needs and the ability to acquire them any given moment. Respect that and be happy with what you have and respect what others have.

So stop whining and go out and shoot something with your old d70 or brand new d700 and share it here at the cafe.

:biggrin:
    P.S. Have a safe and happy July 4th weekend my American cousins!

2. You are so right!
    Oh, the world does revolve a round great pictures! Right?

3. AMEN to that!!! There are other internet locales to take the gear-head arguments to.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Did I miss something?:confused:

5. Well, actually it DOES revolve around me, and Galileo proved it, just go look it up. On the "other bits" I do agree with you, just don't make that first mistake again, is that clear???? nudge-nudge-:wink::wink: :biggrin:

6. The point is that recently there have been an increasing number of threads speculating about coming products, hypothetical situations, and some heated, personal remark filled discussions about niggling technical arguments, second guessing about why Nikon did such and such..as if a handful of members here have better market savvy than a staff of hundreds...possibly thousands designing and manufacturing Nikon cameras...which have garnered a string of stunning success lately. We also have been hearing comments that the Cafe is turning into another DPreview. This isn't quite fair to use that site as an example of a nasty place because it is THE premier digital photography site in the world, and that isn't a bad thing, really. However there is some truth in the comments we hear from long-term users about the Cafe vis-a-vis DPReview.

Personally, I see the Cafe's place in the continuum of digital photography as a focus of practical experience and solutions. For example you can find many interesting hypothetical, speculative and extremely technical discussions at DPReview & Nikonians, but if a newbie asks a basic question at many other sites...stand by; he will be quickly told to read the friendly manual...or do some searching before asking such basic questions. On the other hand, at DPR you can find posts by Thom Hogan, Iliah Borg, Bjorn Rhorslatt and Ron Reznick which you wouldn't find here. Thom Hogan, for example has his ear to the ground, Nikon-wise and has a great track record. If you want to get the latest idea of what he thinks is going on, DPReview.com is likely the best place. DPReview is definitely a positive force in the world of Digital Photography.

I don't see the cafe as a hot place for hypothetical, speculative or extremely detailed theoreticel discussions. Where we excel, and I think it is a very valuable place to be, is the practical realm. "Don't bother me with WHY Nikon decided to make the D700 viewfinder 95%...it is...deal with it and move on" is what you might hear. Look at the Capture NX debates; we've moved to gathering information and offering assistance in getting members (especially on Windows) up and running. We have countless other threads of a very practical nature as well as a growing tutorial collection; the word on the Cafe is, if you want a straight forward answer to a problem whether simple or complex, ask it, no one will flame you, and you can expect help, often within minutes.

So we have a nice fit in the realm of digital photography. There are all sorts of digital photographic sites on the internet, each with areas of specialty. Certainly one can pursue discussion about (Nikon market timing, for example) here but you'll find there are more active discussions about it at other sites. I think we've evolved towards more practical aspects, like dealing with limitations or specific characteristics of products. Consider all the countless tons of images posted here; some new members include images in their first posts, and that's great. Other sites are much more restrictive about posting images. From my standpoint, not as a moderator, I don't see much to be gained by generating discussions which essentially duplicate those which can be found elsewhere...and in greateer scope.

Thanks,

7. speen

speen

Mar 7, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Amen Rich. There is a place for techno-nitpicking (I'm an IT professional!), but I don't want this to be that place.

8. This place will never become like that other place.

Why?

The moderators here run a good clean ship. And they are like everywhere ..... so nothing gets spun out of control......this is all good stuff for the forum members.

JMHO

9. I like this place, I have a new D300 and IM thirsty to learn more about this camera and NX software from those with valued experience. Yes the trash talk is annoying about Nikon "this" and Nikon "that" with the D700 coming on line but these are the threads to skip over. Wrighton.......

10. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    Reminds me of a Joke

How many Paramedics does it take to screw in a lightbulb??
    One, they just hold it up to the socket and wait for the world to revolve around them!

Before I get used for IV practice by any of our resident medics the above joke was for giggles only and may or may not reflect the views of the poster as a former EMT-I, and friend to many medics that could change a light bulb.

11. tamplum

tamplum

Feb 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    Thank you Rich. You stated exactly why I come every day. I might not post every day, but it is a community I can count on to help rather than intimidate me.

I feel comfortable posting my "newbie" pictures. I do often get a nice tap on the back and nice shot. BUT, when I ask for C&C, people are friendly, mostly helpful and assisting. I feel I learn everytime I post a new picture.

But, I am also comfortable posting just everyday shots of my life, to share with the community. This is what makes cafe a great place. You can learn and SHARE.. your photos.

12. Nicely stated Rich.
    I am a relative newcomer and I have noticed the changes even in the this short expanse of time ( 3 months +/-).
    I really enjoy coming to the site each day to see what has been posted, to learn, and to get other viewpoints.
    In this everchanging world we live in, I hope that we do not lose the character of the Cafe.
    JMHO
    Take Care

13. The wealth if information here coupled with the attitude of members and moderators is a treasure to hold an nurture. Protect it from Pirates and Trolls.

14. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Yes, it is different here...

Moderators here are real people. They participate. You can get to know them, and they are live, actual people with real personalities. Here, you can reason with them, and actually ask questions and obtain answers.

I don't think there is another place where you can feel as welcome as you do here, and Rich is correct, it doesn't matter at all what you ask, you will get a helpful answer.

It is truly a 'family' here, and even though I may be an old buzzard, I feel like the Moderators and Administrators here are my elder statesman 'parents' offering guidance and counseling when needed, giving us the freedom to be who we really are and the ability to share who we are with everyone else.

Kudos to all.

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Wow Rich thank you for the great explaination.

16. Whoa...

It doesn't.... sheeeesh... :eek:

He he he :wink:

Sam, I like this place cause anyone and everyone is welcomed from the new person who just picked up his first DSLR to the pros and we all interact as equals, respectful people towards other respectful people - I love it and wouldn't have it otherwise - I tend to stay away from the controversial "nothing I can do about it" ... "speculative" threads... The beauty of internet fora such as this, is that you can pick and choose which threads to participate in.

No all threads will have universal appeal - nothing we can do about this, but as a whole - all threads and participants make this community and I wouldn't have it otherwise. There are so many participants and members that it would be first - impossible to read all the threads and second - impossible to have all threads and topics appeal to all.

I see these threads and all threads as part of the greater online conversation - those with less appeal die down those with more appeal keep coming back and are duplicated... Yup the world does not revolve around me, or you, or anyone for that matter that's what makes it a beautiful place - its diversity as the Nikon community grows so does the diversity.