The World's Best Decorated Christmas House

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by eng45ine, Nov 22, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Happy Holidays Everyone,

I've started this thread (which hopefully will become "sticky") for all Cafe members to use to post an image of the best Christmas decorated home in your area. Everyone has a family that goes way out of the way to decorate their home to the max...you know, like the Grizwald's in the movie, Christmas Vacation. Take a look around, set up your tripod and capture the magic of Christmas for us all to enjoy. I have a home in mind, I'm just waiting for the owner to flip the switch...how about you?

2. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Not the craziest, but this is my house. Shooting lights is tough, I guess dusk would be a better time to shoot this type of photo.
    Well here it is
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2005
  3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ron I think you house is done very nice.
    Photographed well to :>))

4. Unfortunately I can't post it anymore. There was a guy who worked in the film industry and he had one h*** of a Christmas decoration every year on his lawn. The best was a Grinch year, a bunch of character carolers holding books, swaying to the music and it was just delightful. Folks would drive for 50 miles or more to see his decorations. He had a donation box in front for the homeless/hungry. I heard he passed away. Such a loss.

So who says it has to be a house??? I put coloured twinkie lights on the roof-rack of my truck and run it through my AC DC converter, the kids love it, I can leave it on when I go into the store as the converter will shut down before it toasts the battery. Funny story a few years ago: I was getting out of my truck on a city street to run into a store, overheard a woman say to hubby "doesn't that look festive" and he said "I think it looks stupid". Well, of course he stops me to ask how I've rigged it up. I told him "you've heard of wireless internet, haven't you? Well, I've powered it through wireless internet" and I walked away. Can you imagine when he tells THAT story at a party!!??? Looks stupid, does it!!!????
    Gotta love the festive spirit in all of us, dontcha!!!???? *LOL*

Love the lights, Ron!!! Well worth all the effort!

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice image of your home, Ron! Come on everyone...drive though your neighborhood and shoot some images of the crazy people who go bananas with Christmas glee!!!!! As soon as my neighbor flips the switch, I plan to snap away and post some of his house. let's have some fun with this thread, it's another great way to get in the Christmas spirit!!!:biggrin:

6. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
  7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the link, Ron. Surprisingly, my neighbor's house is not featured on that site...but it should be. He and his family go to some great lengths to prepare their house for Christmas. Aside from all of the lighting and annimated displays, they have a sleigh in the driveway where they dress as Santa and Mrs. Claus for two weekends and greet children with candy canes. I understand that he utilizes two 40 ft. trailers to hold all of his decorations. He has a guest register next to the driveway where he invites visitors to sign their name, home town and any applicable comments. As I mentioned earlier, when he flips the switch, I'll get some images to share.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ron I loved them all. Putting them up is fun, hard work and pleasurable.

Taking all that down and packing is the hard part :>)))))

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
  10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    one from last year

Sorry, this one was not taken with a Nikon camera. It is the assembly hall on Temple Square in Salt Lake City.

We've got lots of houses decorated here now. It's just so COLD that I am not too excited to get out a take photos. I haven't adjusted to the snow yet.

Attached Files:

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Just beautiful Terri...the colors are great! Still waiting for my neighbor to finsih putting up his lights, trains and all. The moment he flips the switch, I'll be there to snap a few!

12. Dyker Heights, brooklyn

Shot these last year. We'll have to see what's new for this year! We usually go driving around Christmas Eve to look at the houses. Just a couple of little house in Brooklyn...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great captures, Janet...I like the way that you shot both, but the orientation on the second one is spectacular! I sit and stare at it and can't figure out how they set all of the features up on their property. Thanks for posting, I hope others will contribute soon as the Griswold-clones light their masterpieces for the holiday season.

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Wow, those are some incredible displays. You did a great job with the photos as well. It will be hard for anyone to find one more spectacular than that second one!!!

15. Now that is someone that has gone all out Janet. Nice images.

16. Here are mine

These are a few blocks away from my house
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. wow mike a little competition goin' on in the neighborhood! Those are awesome...but I wouldn't want their electric bills.

18. Pretty amazing Mike but they obviously have too much time on their hands. Perhaps they need a hobby and would like to buy one of your old cameras?:biggrin:

19. Wow, this is a LOT of folks with a LOT of time on their hands!!! and a LOT of $$ in the bank to pay the electric bill!! LOL These are great, folks, keep 'em coming!

20. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great images, Mike...thanks for adding them to the thread! It amazes me how some people can find the motivation in the nastiest weather to decorate their home to the max for Christmas...and it's awesome!!! :biggrin: