"The worst performer by far was the Nikon lens..."

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Not surprised a lens design 15 years old and it was not stellar when it first came out. In fact the 200 older lens performs much better. I own this lens, and while ok/good, it simply is not stellar.

i had better results from my 300 f4 telephoto For macro work.

I have no experience with the Nikon lens he is testing (105VR micro). His results might be relevant since that lens has been around quite a long time and there have been quite a lot of advances in lens design and manufacturing since it came out.

On the other hand, he might have gotten a poor copy of the lens. Roger Cicala at LensRentals.com has commented on the wide variation between samples of lenses and he always tests at least 10 samples before publishing results. The 105 micro has always gotten excellent reviews.

I read the article but have not yet watched the video, can only speak from my own experience. Back in November when I purchased my new gear, the number one item on my list (aside from the camera, of course!) was the Sony 90mm f/2.8 macro lens. Since that first day, this truly stellar lens has spent significantly more time on my camera than any of my other lenses, and undoubtedly will continue to do so over time...... I absolutely love this lens because it is sharp, it is precise, it does more than I could've expected and it is comfortable and easy to hold and work with in my hands. Yes, it's not an inexpensive lens but IMHO it is worth every penny -- certainly to me!

Prior to the switch in systems, with my Nikon gear, I had both the 60mm macro and the 105mm macro. Of the two, I much preferred the 60mm because it seemed easier and more comfortable to handle, and also I felt as though the quality of the images was somewhat better, but that may have simply been a subjective sense. I also had other macro lenses, too, including Nikon's 200mm macro and the 70-180mm macro, both of which I liked very much, too. In short, my 105mm macro didn't really get a lot of use -- it just wasn't the lens for which I instinctively and automatically reached time after time. I don't recall it being a particularly bad lens, but I did find it bulky and cumbersome at times. The 60mm was the one which seemed to be on the camera more than any of my other macro lenses.

I no longer have my Nikon cameras and lenses so cannot run a comparison test between either the 105mm or the 60mm macro lenses and my Sony 90mm, but if I could, I can pretty well predict that the 90mm would still be my top choice. I also have Sony's 50mm f/2.8 macro lens, but don't use it all that often. When I pick up the camera, that 90mm just seems to leap right on to the mount, ready for action.....

Last edited:
Mike touches on a good point here, and one which I sort of alluded to in my post -- I think one reason I preferred the 60mm to the 105mm was that, yes, shooting under sometimes tight situations in limited space the 105 was just a bit too long and I couldn't get the results I wanted, whereas the 60mm was ideal for that, either hand-held or on the tripod. At the time I got the 90mm I wondered if I would have similar issues with it, too, which is one reason I bought the 50mm macro as well. Interestingly enough, the 90mm seems to work pretty well for me in the same places and in similar situations as those where I had tried to use the 105.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It just now occurred to me that it was recently recommended here at the Cafe that I get rid of my Tamron 90mm macro and replace it with the Nikon macro being discussed. My reason for not even considering that switch has nothing to do with perception about one of the lens models being better than the other. Heck, I don't even know if the Tamron lens that was tested is the same model as mine.

I have the 105 VR Micro and love it. I haven't any experience comparing it to other macro lenses, but the results I've obtained with the 105 VR satisfy my macro urges. And it's not bad as a portrait lens and short telephoto...

I had a quick read of the article. While I find these types of comparisons interesting, I very rarely take too much notice of the results, preferring to read users thoughts and check out their images.

I also own the 105VR and mine is one of the originals made in Japan. Nikon moved production to China not long after I purchased mine.

What I find interesting is they used a Z7 instead of say a D850 so they could use the lens without the FTZ adapter. My experience is not anything special using the FTZ adapter, I find the Z bodies appear to be better suited to the newer lenses. I still use my 105vr, plus the other F mount macro lenses I have, but only with F mount bodies.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Ha! You wouldn't have had any results if you had been using my makeshift studio. That's because the minimum focusing distance would have pushed you and your camera outside the studio.
True true, lol. I should clarify and say it was my outdoor flower shooter.

Ok, Lets see now the 105 f2.8 VR macro is a lousy lens????

The orchid shot currently on the front cover was shot with this lens. So it is sharp.

Perhaps he left the VR on when he was testing the lens..... On a tripod, and very close, the VR will mess sharpness up a bit...

Just Saying,,,

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" i only trust Roger Cicala's results!!!! The Beagle has spoken.." - Georgie Beagle

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...lts-with-apologies-to-the-nikon-105-vr-micro/

SO THERE!!!!!! - Georgie Beagle

I normally wouldn't pay attention to articles like this, but was thinking about a new macro lens the other day, so this caught my eye. I read the article but have not watched the video (and I probably won't). I'm no expert but have my doubts about the whole test. A sony shooter tests all the lenses on a sony camera - except the nikon which he pans. The nikon is shot on a different camera with a different resoultion. The article doesn't mention it (perhaps the video does) but doesn't that mean he had to manipulate the images in software to get similar sized files for comparison? So different lenses on different camera bodies going through different processes in software? Plus as Richard M mentioned, the nikon lens shot through an FTZ adapter on a body it wasn't designed for.

I currently own the Sigma 150 mm macro, which I really like. However it is pretty old, has no OS and I was wondering what I would replace it with if needed. The 150 is no longer manufactured by Sigma and when Randy tried to get his copy repaired Sigma would no longer repair them. I may not buy a macro for some time as I tend to ponder these things for a while - but I don't think I'd allow this article / video to influence my decision.

Just read the LensRentals link that Alexis posted above. That should resolve any doubts about the lens (but raise serious doubts about the test that started this thread). Quote:

Stopped down (as in the D800 article) it increases to a maximum of 1050 / 990 at f/5.6. The 105 VR, which tested only slightly above average at longer shooting distances, is truly spectacular at macro distances.

(but raise serious doubts about the test that started this thread).
Just setting the context straight, it seems that the LensRental test was from 2012 and the point the new guy was making was that perhaps the Nikkor is not up to dealing with new HiRes sensors due to its age.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom