The Z50 and the missing adapter

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Am I the only one that thinks that the FTZ adapter is missing in any Z50 bundle?

So there are only 2 DX lenses now and they need to have VR, since no IBIS in the Z50 I would prefer not to use the FF Z lenses, since they dont have built in VR.

So to me that means I have to be able to use regular F mount lenses as a bridge until I have been able to afford to buy enough Z mount lenses.

But the FTZ adapter is $250! I don't want to waste that much money on a modified pipe with electrical contacts, so that's a real barrier to me!

Two options that I see:
  1. Nikon bundles the FTZ adapter with the Z50
  2. Our friendly Asian copycats help us out with a generic adapter at a much more palatable price
  3. Buy a used FTZ
Or I wont buy a Z50.

Anyone else share my concerns ?

Last edited:
I have a Z6, so no. :D

When the Z6/7 came out the FTZ was an extra, and it didn't take long before it became part of the bundle. So, option 3. Is, "Wait"
Option 4, is, "Buy a Z6+FTZ. Keep the FTZ, sell the Z6.
Option 5. Wait for the Z5.

Real Name
Ian
By the way, this is a prime example of why I think the Z50 is such an odd camera.

The camera has no IBIS, and yet ever lens other than the two slow kit zoom lenses that come with the camera are missing any form a stabilization, as they rely on IBIS. Then there is no option for a kit FTZ, as Nikon forces the potential buyers to buy one at cost (at nearly 1/3 the price of the body-only camera). We know that Nikon is going to invest nearly zero effort in the Z DX range for quite some time, as their primary focus will be on developing the FX Z cameras and lenses to compete with Sony and Canon.

IMO, Nikon should've gone the route of the EOS RP and come out with a Nikon Z5. A low-cost FX camera to bring people in to the Z mount system.

Real Name
Ian
No, I wouldn’t use a non z lens on the z50
Or the z6 or z7
You wouldn't use a "G" lens on a Z6 or Z7? Why? The Z lens portfolio has tons of gaps at the moment, and the only way to fill them is to use existing "G" lenses from the F mount.

I regularly shoot my Z6 with the 58/1.4 G, 85/1.4 G, 70-200/2.8 VR II, and 300/2.8 VR (none of which have an equivalent Z-mount lens yet), and they all work wonderfully on the FTZ.

If you only want to use native lenses, then the Z system isn't the system for you. The only FF mirrorless system that would support such a position would be Sony, since they've been developing their FF lens portfolio for 5 years now.

Real Name
Randy
You wouldn't use a "G" lens on a Z6 or Z7? Why? The Z lens portfolio has tons of gaps at the moment, and the only way to fill them is to use existing "G" lenses from the F mount.

I regularly shoot my Z6 with the 58/1.4 G, 85/1.4 G, 70-200/2.8 VR II, and 300/2.8 VR (none of which have an equivalent Z-mount lens yet), and they all work wonderfully on the FTZ.

If you only want to use native lenses, then the Z system isn't the system for you. The only FF mirrorless system that would support such a position would be Sony, since they've been developing their FF lens portfolio for 5 years now.
LOL, thanks for helping me with what I need
Was my last post not clear enough for you ?

I'm leaning not going Z anymore and flesh out my Sony kit instead, while keeping my Nikon DSLRs for the lenses that are better suited for the format. Too many hiccups and odd decisions on Nikon's mirrorless strategy. Not to mention I'm head over heels over the latest budget fast primes from Samyang and other third party manufacturers. On top of that, Sony's head start has really put more inventory in the used market making it cheaper to switch if buying used.

Real Name
Ian
I'm leaning not going Z anymore and flesh out my Sony kit instead, while keeping my Nikon DSLRs for the lenses that are better suited for the format. Too many hiccups and odd decisions on Nikon's mirrorless strategy. Not to mention I'm head over heels over the latest budget fast primes from Samyang and other third party manufacturers. On top of that, Sony's head start has really put more inventory in the used market making it cheaper to switch if buying used.
It's funny, because 3-4 years ago CaNikon fans LOVED to harp on Sony for their incomplete lens portfolio.

It seems that the shoe's on the other foot now with CaNikon scrambling to get lenses developed for their new mounts, all the while Sony continues to eat in to their market share.

It's funny, because 3-4 years ago CaNikon fans LOVED to harp on Sony for their incomplete lens portfolio.

It seems that the shoe's on the other foot now with CaNikon scrambling to get lenses developed for their new mounts, all the while Sony continues to eat in to their market share.
Believe me, I don't have any particular joy over Sony. I actually prefer Nikon and Olympus because both companies have aspects that I can appreciate mainly in lens design, image processing, metering control and haptic design. As a photographic tool though, Sony hits all the marks with mirrorless in regards to fast AF, Eye-AF tech and open mount license. Also the latest 3rd/4th gen bodies closed the gap in regards to high ISO output, decent enough raw files, dual card slots, USB charging while in use, providing a battery grip with shutter button and an actual battery that last a long time.

The fact they opened up the lens mount has let companies like Samyang really shine. I just picked up their 18mm 2.8 and 45mm 1.8 lenses and that pair is incredibly sharp and COMPACT for FF lenses. Also their new 85mm 1.4 FE is a razor with little to no CA wide open, rich colors/contrast and creamy OOF areas with a hint of old school swirl.

I still don't like Sony lenses beyond 200mm and I feel Nikon/Canon are better in this regards, but if you want an all native mirrorless full frame kit with few weaknesses, Sony is looking very compelling right now.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
It becomes a very expensive adapter when you have to buy two cameras to get it ;-) I get the point I can try to find a used one. I still think that the cost for making this gadget is so low that Nikon should find room in some bundle for it with the Z 50 and say two lenses?

I have a Z6, so no. :D

When the Z6/7 came out the FTZ was an extra, and it didn't take long before it became part of the bundle. So, option 3. Is, "Wait"
Option 4, is, "Buy a Z6+FTZ. Keep the FTZ, sell the Z6.
Option 5. Wait for the Z5.

Real Name
Steve
Could an adapter have IBIS reasonably? Just an engineering “what if.” Such an adapter could be Z to Z to put current Z lenses on Z50 with IBIS and I guess a required 1.4x length multiplier? Probably be too big.

Sony made an adapter with a pellicle mirror unit, adapters can be elaborate.

Real Name
Andy
Or the z6 or z7
If you only want to use native lenses, then the Z system isn't the system for you.
???? Not sure I get any of your logic.
I want d850 IQ in a way smaller package
I think mirrorless bodies are ideal for adapting non-native glass. Constraining the mirrorless experience to native glass seems unthinkable to me, as the possibilities for adapting excellent non-native optics are basically unlimited. So far I've tried adapting six different kinds of lens mounts (Nikon F, Nikon S, Leica M, LTM, M42, Exakta) on two different kinds of mirrorless bodies (E-M1 and Z6). Adapting old glass is extremely enjoyable and can yield wonderfully rewarding images.

Or the z6 or z7

great IQ at a small size

they could weld the 16-50 on the z50
I would agree. I sold my FTZ adaptor. I will buy Z50 for travel and if I add the FTZ (too bulky as an adaptor), it's no longer a compact camera. Also, I like it because the kit lens is so tiny.
When travel, I will bring Z50 kit plus 35mm 1.8S, however. 35 1.8S is smallest and lightest among the S primes.

Could an adapter have IBIS reasonably? Just an engineering “what if.” Such an adapter could be Z to Z to put current Z lenses on Z50 with IBIS and I guess a required 1.4x length multiplier? Probably be too big.

Sony made an adapter with a pellicle mirror unit, adapters can be elaborate.
I doubt it. IBIS aligns the sensor with the lens by moving the sensor. In order for stabilization to occur at the adapter level would require aligning both the sensor and lens simultaneously, which I think wouldn't be very effective.

Real Name
Randy
I would agree. I sold my FTZ adaptor. I will buy Z50 for travel and if I add the FTZ (too bulky as an adaptor), it's no longer a compact camera. Also, I like it because the kit lens is so tiny.
When travel, I will bring Z50 kit plus 35mm 1.8S, however. 35 1.8S is smallest and lightest among the S primes.
Glad to know someone else agrees

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom