Theft Prevention Methods

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by RUNYYFan, Oct 6, 2008.

1. I probably have missed a thread on this topic, but I can't seem to find one at this hour. :smile:

I'd like to find out what people put on their equipment for identification and to somewhat deter those who may think about getting sticky fingers disease. Obviously the really purposeful thieves are going to get what they want.

Some of the services I've seen are

StuffBak
    ReuniteIT, and
    DataDot System (I actually heard about the second option on a CSI episode.) :rolleyes:

Given some of the big ticket items I'm collecting, I'm sort of leaning toward the DataDot System. Has anyone used this?

I've used StuffBak before but I'm wondering if anyone has used any other options.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to provide.

2. I think the idea is to prevent theft in the first place because you and the police are very unlikely to ever see it again. When I travel, all my gear is packed in Pelican cases, padlocked shut. All cases are wired together with a extreme 3/8" Kryptonite bicycle cable and then everything is then cabeled to the front driver and passenger seats. All is covered by moving blankets and all luggage and other travel stuff is on top of that.

I think the systems you have quoted will help identify what is your if it is ever recovered, but then again, so will a description and serial number list.

3. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    I put a Canon sticker...:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Seriously, I donĀ“t have anything in that aspect, will like to know more about... and if these things works at Europe....

perhaps the best thing is still a good insurance...

4. Very true on both points. :smile: The list is actually an addendum to my insurance. :cool:

That is definitely prevention. Thank you.