There and back again . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Marques, Nov 21, 2005.

1. . . . incoherent ramblings of a Nikon Café friend. :biggrin:

I was thinking recently how much I miss the fine folks here at Nikon Café. It seems changing brands somehow results in "moving on" - not "on" to anything better - just different. It's compounded by the fact that I have had less time to spend online so a large part of that time is spent reading and sharing about gear that I currently own. I have also shot much less in recent months due to work demands and household demands (minor construction). At the end of the day I have missed this place for so many reasons and was reminded today while processing some old images.

I have migrated my workflow to Raw Shooter Premium with Color Engine (Magne's profiles). In testing the software across the various cameras I have owned I went back to my first month with a dSLR (Nikon D100). I remember buying that camera in anticipation of the birth of our 3rd child - Luke. It's funny how photography often coincides with key life events. I bought my first film SLR in 1993 (Nikon N90) - months before the birth of our 1st child - Victoria. I was hooked on photography in 1993 and was revitalized by the D100 because I saw digital as an opportunity to accelerate my learning with real-time feedback. In film days, by the time I got the roll of Velvia mounted slides back I had forgotten everything about the shots so my learning was gradual at best. Digital was a new world; not just for the real-time feedback but for the online photography community and a remarkable willingness to share.

You see in late 2003 I began lurking at a place called DPR. :smile: I finally had the courage to post in early 2004. I even began posting pictures - dreadful as they were looking back. :eek: I owe so much of my digital photography development to those who shared so willingly in the Nikon forums of DPR (and most of whom are members here at Nikon Café). The sharing of technical knowledge and technique has had an enormous impact on my life and I am grateful for it. Back in 2004 I didn't understand RAW, white balance, curves, Photoshop, layers, masks - the list could go on to fill this forum. :biggrin: Today I can probably teach a class in Photoshop. I certainly try to do my part to carry forward the legacy of the good people who helped me by sharing what I have learned over the years.

So I'm here to say thanks to the fine folks at Nikon Café who have given so much and expected nothing in return. I tend to be cynical about the world these days and find hope in places like the Café. So much so that I plan to spend much more time here going forward. I've missed this place too much.

One final note to wrap up my ramblings - two images to bookend the digital experience so far. One from 2003 shot with my Nikon D100. The other shot today with my Canon 5D. Both processed today with RSP.

My how much he's grown in 2 short years. :smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warm regards,

Joe

2. Hi Joe,

Nice to see you around here again! Indeed, how much has changed in 2 years, on your boy (nice shots btw, both of them), but also in our collective abilities with digital photography and the technical advances of the equipement.

I see that you are now sporting a 5D: do you see a significant improvement over the 20D, which you had not long ago (and maybe still have?). Is FF more demanding, to properly control the DOF? I hope you'll stick around...

3. Amazing watching them grow. I try to think about how fast their childhood goes by every day so I don't miss anything.

I use a 5D too these days, along side my Nikon gear. I would be interesting to hear how you think it compares to the 20D as well. I did use a 20D for some six months, but it has been a while since I sold the 20D. I would swear the 5D is better noise and over all image quality wise, but who's to say?

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Joe,

Very nice ramble. :wink:

In reality, I haven't considered you gone at all although I know your posts have been more sparse. That happens to all of us when we get busy with work, home, family, friends, and other things. I have met new folks along the way, and many of them are Canon shooters. I always invite them to stop by the Cafe, and I always show them my Cafe hat and say, 'hey, the guy that designed our logo shoots Canon'. :biggrin:

I for one hope that you will continue to stop by, as often as you can, because I like seeing your pics, and I'd like to hear more about your experiences with the 20D and now the 5D. Mostly though, I'd like you to stop by because I consider you a friend. :smile:

5. Hey, Joe, good to see your "face" here again, I think of you every time I pick up MY 70-200 :wink:

Yeah, kids sure grow fast, don't they? One thing I can say is that your life is really enriched when you view the world through the eyes of a child, they have so darned much to teach us, if we will only listen. Now, on a serious note regarding your children, you ARE going to teach them to grow up correct, aren't you? To be good Nikonians and not dreadful, creepy, Canonites like their old man??? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Ah, just couldn't resist a remembrance of those good old DPR days......

By the way, in the second shot of your son I think I see a truly horrible artifact on the left side of the image. Perhaps it is just a Canon Major Dust Bunny or something, do you have to clone those out of ALL your images??? :wink:

On the FF vs. APS-sized issue, do you see much difference now? When I switched from film to digital I really didn't see any, but then most of what I do is relatively "long distance" anyway.

Later,

6. Hey there stranger was very happy to see your post glad to hear you are OK, busy like the rest of us but doing well. It doesnt matter what any of us shoot as long as we shoot! Your little guy sure has grown, well wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

7. Joe...Welcome back! I agree with you about kids growing up fast. Too fast. In fact my oldest is 18 and my youngest is 3. I feel like I am starting all over again but we all love our children and wouldn't trade them for the world.

8. Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the kind words. The 5D shines in noise performance and image quality. It has a different look than the 20D that I can't quite put my finger on. Kind of like the D2H when I moved from the D100 - it was just "better" and looked right. FF is a bit more demanding with DOF. It's also a bit more demanding on lenses. There is light fall-off wide open on many lenses but it's no bother for me since I often add vignette to my shots and it's gone stopped down a bit. :smile:

Regards,

Joe

9. I agree with your assessment. The 5D is better at ISO 3200 (sharper and cleaner). The 5D also has a certain "look" that the 20D can't match. Don't know what it is but I see it and so do many others. As I mentioned above - certain cameras (d2H) get the IQ right and it sets them apart from the pack. I'm intrigued by the D200 and would love to try one for sports/action.

10. Frank,

I see it was your BD recently - Happy Birthday old man. :wink: :biggrin: :Whistle:

I appreciate the kind words and appreciate your friendship as well.

PS - see above for some 5D comments.

Regards.

11. Bill, do they still let you in here? I thought the restraining order was in full force. :tongue:

As for raising Nikonians - my kids shoot Pentax (not). :biggrin:

The main difference with FF is the feeling of space. I always felt a bit confined with 1.5 or 1.6. Now the VF feels big again. Bottom line for me is IQ and the 5D has it in bucket loads.

Nice to "see" you - now send me back that 70-200 so I can save it for my return to Nikon in 5 years. :tongue:

12. It's always a pleasure to here from you Mike. I hope all is well. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well.

13. Thanks Melissa - it's nice to be back. :smile: I thought 11, 8 and 2 was a big gap between kids - good for you! Isn't fun to have a little one after the other kids are bigger? I'm lovin' it.

Regards.

14. Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I had a chance to use a pre production 5D for a few days, and it grew on me quickly. I already had a few Canon lenses, so I swore :rolleyes: to give up toy lust for a while and buy one and a 135 f2. I use it about a third of the time, the rest going to the D2X and D50. I find these three make a nice range of different images.

I've also found using manual Nikkors on the Canon to work pretty well for macro stuff, etc.