There I was.....shooting lilypads...

Thinking it would turn out rather pretty...

p1066728713-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

while I heard my husband talk about dragonflies to our kids... and then he goes:

"Linda, LOOK!!!!!!!", expecting to see a beautiful scene of a dragonfly on a lilypad and I turn my head and faces the largest damn alligator I've seen in the wild. He was not there 2 minutes earlier.

p861486269-5.png

View attachment 920765

View attachment 920766

Thankfully, someone considerate had placed a 3-4 foot high concrete wall from the lake to the road where we were at.

p879918561-4.jpg

Excellent pic's and story, thanks for sharing...!
Clapping.gif

In that last shot that 'Gator looks like he's just hoping someone will
slip and fall off that wall...! :tongue:

Haha well I backed up after that picture and then we headed for other adventures, but yeah I think he did hope someone, especially one of the kids would slip in. Gators can't really leap up, just forward.

I was more worried when I was on a little hill in the Dakotas many years ago, trying to get a good shot of a wild bison, he wasn't very friendly. Another time, hiking in California resulted in a sudden freeze because something with reddish/tan fur brushed my in the bushes, which very well might have been a cougar.

Ironically, only time I gotten a nightmare of was from an outing when a good sized wave got a hold of me, and dragged me along the bottom of the ocean for a few meters. I had to throw away the swimsuit, it was sandblasted.

Glad y'all liked the photos ;)

Average size for around here in FL. I have run across ones that size while walking on a path a few feet away with no wall, fence or anything. Gators are not particularly aggressive towards people and normally back away or submerge when approached at close range. If you were a small animal, things might turn out differently.

They are something up close. There are so many of them down here, you get used to being around them. It is far more dangerous to be in the water near them than on land.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom