There is a raw d2x available at DPR

The consensus is the image, which was taken on the quick, is technically superb. Yesterday I predicted it would take no more than 4 hours for the noise police to find the noise they were looking for when the first raw image came out...I was wrong it took less than a half hour.

Whoever gets the first D2X here would you please shoot and post some test shots in a methodical string? It will be interesting to discuss it here without the hysteria at DPR. How about the same image in increasing ISO values?

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich,

I ditto everything you wrote.

The D2X will be out soon and I know we all want to see what it can do.

Good suggestion from you and I'm sure that's the way it will be presented on this great forum.

Gaye

GeeJay said:
Hi Rich,

I ditto everything you wrote.

The D2X will be out soon and I know we all want to see what it can do.

Good suggestion from you and I'm sure that's the way it will be presented on this great forum.

Gaye

I think everyone will agree Phil does a more than credible job assessing the cameras he tests. I think what is also needed is an analysis done in a consistent context. My education is as an engineer so one might expect me to propose the following examination.

Perhaps we can, together, come up with an prioritized schedule of investigation and vote on image tests for examination. For example, I mentioned the clamor for high ISO shots. If the cafe feels that should come first perhaps one of our newest D2X owners would take a series of images varying only one parameter, etc .etc.

Maybe Flew can be the arbiter; or how about a D2X section where everyone can suggest images to take...and then we can all calmly and civilly look at the posts and discuss what we saw, and their implications. I think this would be more helpful than claiming vociferously "the D2X kicks butt."

Rich

Here is a short list I'm going to do (terrible non-photographic torturing):

full-field resolution test varying ISO, 17-55, 85/1.4, 70-200 - various apertures (tripod);

noise test, gray and colour targets - varying ISO and colour balance;

tolerance to changing white balance in postprocessing;

dynamic range test

Iliah said:
Here is a short list I'm going to do (terrible non-photographic torturing):
full-field resolution test varying ISO, 17-55, 85/1.4, 70-200 - various apertures (tripod);
noise test, gray and color targets - varying ISO and color balance;
tolerance to changing white balance in postprocessing;
dynamic range test

Yeah!...that's the ticket. A D2X Section and each lens/ISO/WB/whatever would be a separate thread, titled appropriately. Thus someone could go to the section and look at images and a discussion on some particular facet of the D2X. It would be extremely useful. I'm certain a lot of people would stop by to see an objective analysis of the camera.

Hey moderators!!! You guys awake?

Rich :eek:

Wow, this sure has potential.

Good ideas!

Now wish I could have a D2X so I could get in on the posting and testing of pictures...but will be watching and saving.

Gaye

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I think w eneed real world testing!

I will go and shoot some birds to see what fine detail I can see and the colors of course

I'm first in line at my store here in Kenmore, wa, so I hope to get it in two weeks or so :lol:

Rich Gibson said:
My education is as an engineer so one might expect me to propose the following examination.

Rich :

Another engineer, eh ? My education's both engineering and science (double bachelors' degree), although my master's and doctoral studies were definitely engineering in nature...

And that colours my thinking a lot on all of these debates. I'm simply not a "measurebator" like so many on DPR, nor am I interested in odd cynical technical speculation. I work with results, hard and sharp-edged, not the silliness that seems to be swirling around the D2X/D2Hs/D200/D3x10^4 debates.

And in the end, it's the results I gain with the camera that will determine what I consider important. As much as I may lust after a faster buffer or more resolution, it's a simple fact that I'm not actually taxing the capabilities of my D100 in 98% of the shots I take. The fraction may be (much) higher if you ask the more accomplished photographers here in the forum.

A D2X wouldn't have landed a better shot than I took the other day (https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=451), not would a faster buffer have landed a better shot than I was able to get in December (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=11535272). The D2X wouldn't have allowed me to make the exposure on my evening photo work better (https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=198) nor would it have made a plethora of other photos work more readily.

The greatest limits of my camera are the user behind it. Henri Cartier-Bresson wasn't whining about noise in his images, and it's there, to be sure. Ansel Adams didn't complain about the limitations of large format photography. Both men transcended their equipment to deliver incredible lasting images that have become archetypes for the art and science of photography.

In the end, my photographs are wholly my responsibility, not Nikon's, not DPR's, not anyone's but mine. When I land a great moment, when the many shots I discard become but random electrons, even the moments when I get the laudatory comments of my peers, not one of them is the fault of the camera. Each and every minute of my photography, awful, good, and in-between, derives from me.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich Gibson said:
The consensus is the image, which was taken on the quick, is technically superb. Yesterday I predicted it would take no more than 4 hours for the noise police to find the noise they were looking for when the first raw image came out...I was wrong it took less than a half hour.

Whoever gets the first D2X here would you please shoot and post some test shots in a methodical string? It will be interesting to discuss it here without the hysteria at DPR. How about the same image in increasing ISO values?

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich, Could you link that picture. I missed it on DPR.

I will have my D2X as soon as they are shipped. I am no 6 on the list at the dealer so I hope to have mine no later than next Monday and I would be happy to shoot some pictures and post them here on the forum for everyone. I too am anxious to see how the 800 and higher ISO performs.

Melissa

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I have a NEF

I found a NEF of the pictures up on the site, don't know how i can make it available for you all, it's abit large to senbd in email.

Impression of it is a bit hard to say, it was of course shot under less then ideal conditions, doesn't seem noisy to my eyes. The resolution is a big wow effect, normal USM doesnt do it justice I guess now we have to experiment with new USM settings.....

Here is a leveled and sharpened JPG I got out of the NEF, using NC 4.2, it's been compressed so there will be some losses because of it....
40045477.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looks good Andreas, I did the same & have a 100% crop (p

As you said, not the best conditions, or even subject matter, but here's my 100% crop of same pic:
39986201.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EDIT: I see it's been automatically reduced here, so I'll post the link to the original 100% crop:
http://www.pbase.com/sshyone/image/39986201

Catz said:
Hi Rich, Could you link that picture. I missed it on DPR.

I will have my D2X as soon as they are shipped. I am no 6 on the list at the dealer so I hope to have mine no later than next Monday and I would be happy to shoot some pictures and post them here on the forum for everyone. I too am anxious to see how the 800 and higher ISO performs.

Melissa

Melissa,

Which image was that?

:eek:)

Latest threads

Top Bottom