There is humor after all

I am getting such a kick from sitting back and viewing the furor from afar that has erupted over Adobe's recent decision to license photo-editing products on a subscription basis. The massive misinformation and accusations of Adobe blackmailing its customers and holding them for ransom that proliferates is the stuff that makes me almost literally chuckle in amazement. While my biggest complaint about CNX2 is that there has been so little change over the years, I am finally appreciating the humor after all that that could actually be a very good thing! :biggrin:

Much of Adobe's photography-related PS iterations over the years have been cosmetic, where they take things you can already do in PS and make them less unintuitive. Yes, for all the complaints about the CNX interface, in comparison to the utter unintuitiveness of PS it is actually quite easy to use.

From a Nikon point of view the major progress has been that they went from absolutely horrendous "canned" raw conversions to a state of respectability. And the only place where LR can hold a candle to CNX is speed of batch processing, because all the adjustments are in sidecar files.

For those of us that process a few images a day at most none of this matters. I can understand how the people who make a living with photography find CNX unusable, if I was in that category I would not be using CNX either. But in that case the cost of PS is just part of the cost of doing business, you write it off as an expense, charge accordingly, and move along.

Since I bought CEP3 a year ago to add to NX2, I have no reason to try anything else, certainly not a monthly subscription to something that would be of little use to me now.

I have PSP X2 installed that I can use for anything Capture NX2 and Nik CEP3 cannot do and I seldom use it (no monthly fee for it either). There is just an awful lot of choices for the amateur photographer out there now, why would anyone want to pay a monthly fee. Like Mike, I got a good laugh out of there plans and it does not affect me, as I am happy with what I have and feel comfortably using it.

That's the problem with getting older. You don't have to have the latest and greatest anymore. As long as you're happy with it, why change. I'm still driving a 1999 Mazda pickup. It gets me there and back. I am going to need to upgrade my seven year old D80 though (eventually) (maybe).

I have been weaning myself off the Adobe product for a long time and I can manage to do everything in CNX2 for 99% of my PP.

The 1% requirement is when I want to layer two different 16 bit images.

CS4 (and W7) will keep me going for a while yet and allow for the 1%.

I have always argued that NX2 is nothing more than a RAW converter, but coupled with CEFX3 it becomes, probably, the most powerful RAW converter out there for Nikon users. I am not surprised at Adobe's latest move, but it holds no interest for me.

You have to smile, don't you?

DG

I think the point may be being missed here as you cannot compare PS to NX2 even though PS does contain the camera raw element.

LR is the direct comparison as a raw processor and asset manager. While LR5 will be available as part of the CC it will also continue as a standalone app. with a perpetual licence.

This has been confirmed http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

Your choice of raw converter is therefore down to your personal preferences and your understanding of the tools and taking the time to learn them. There are many that swear Capture One is the best bar none, for others it is Aperture etc. etc.

Quite right Tony, it is down to personal choice.
But none of the others do what NX2 does i.e.start off with the camera settings?
One of these days I might be forced to move away from NX2 but it will not be in an Adobe direction.
DG

Joining up with Adobe is like paying rent. Stop paying and you get kicked out and you built no equity.

My two computers have LR and CS6 and NX2. ONe has just a few hours on it, the new is in process of being set up. I will upgrade LR as the spirit moves me, then move on. I will not rent. I would not mind renting if the price were reasonable, buy it is like paying double and more and you still do not own it.

The truly sucky part about this is integration with things such as NIK and onOne filters. I have seen reference to CEP3, let me tell you, CEP4 adds a bunch of Really Good Stuff, unfortunately is was never back-ported into NX2, and doubtful it ever will be. The best part of having CEP3 integrated is the ability to redo edits non-destructively, one of NX2's best points.

The good news is that you can always process in the stand-alone versions of these products, just an added step in work flow.

Because of this, I do most of my editing now in LR/PS, which truly annoys me no end as I still think that NX2 does an incredible job and the UI is not as bad as many claim, certainly no more "non-intuitive" than either PS or LR.

Unfortunately, I don't see any effort on Nikon's part to continue development of the editing portions, just the addition of new cameras and some RAW conversion modifications.

To clear up one misconception from GroovyGeek:
"And the only place where LR can hold a candle to CNX is speed of batch processing, because all the adjustments are in sidecar files. "

The adjustments are only in sidecar files if you want them to be, they can be kept just in the catalog, which I think is the default. I hate, abhor, despise, additional files hanging about, just begging to get lost. I think a major difference in speed comes from NX writing to the NEF itself, I'm guessing re-writing the whole file, where LR is only writing the edit info to the DB or sidecars.

Real Name
Randy
I would rather shoot jpg than go back to nx2 or go to adobe's CC and just stay on
cs6/lr4 forever

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom