There is something wrong with me?

Real Name
Mike
There must be something wrong with me. I love handling and using my D750 and 35mm f1.8ED and 24mm f1.8ED lens. I just love this DSLR and those 2 prime lenses. They just feel right. I've thought about convenient zoom lenses and mirrorless cameras but have not had either of these to handle and use. Every time I start looking, I pick up my D750 w/ 35mm in particular I question myself and say why, I'm satisfied so I never pull the trigger. Sure my photography is limited, but I guess I don't care enough and make do w/ what I have. I do also have a 180mm f2.8 EDIF but don't use it often.

The only possible consideration is a small compact camera w/ prime or short zoom lens like new forthcoming Z-fc w/16-50 kit lens for a carry around little camera. But who knows, when it gets down to it I may say why do I need it?

front high color_4443.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I haven’t seen a compelling to replace my DSLRs with a mirror less setup yet, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen all the reasons why people have done it. It’s an expensive proposition, and not one I’m willing to do right away. What I’ve got works fine for what I’m doing.

The process of capturing images is so much more enjoyable for me using a mirrorless camera. If using a mirrorless system wouldn't be more enjoyable, I can't think of a reason to switch to one unless there is a particular capability that would be used that is not available in a DSLR that otherwise is comparable.

to replace my DSLRs with a mirror less setup...It’s an expensive proposition
I had only one DSLR to replace and the net cost of replacement after selling off the lenses was USD $2050. If I keep my current mirrorless system as long as I kept my previous DSLR system, the amortized cost will be less than $20 per month. It would be nearly impossible to account for the many number of ways I waste $20 per month without even knowing I'm doing it.

Real Name
Mike
The process of capturing images is so much more enjoyable for me using a mirrorless camera. If using a mirrorless system wouldn't be more enjoyable, I can't think of a reason to switch to one unless there is a particular capability that would be used that is not available in a DSLR that otherwise is comparable.
I had a Fuji X100T mirrorless camera for 4.5 yrs before picking up my 1st DSLR (D750) 1 year ago. I didn't find using a mirrorless camera any more enjoyable, other than size of the little Fuji camera, but Nikon feels functionally better in the hand.

I enjoy both my D7100 and my Leica CL (mirrorless). The CL gets the most use right now because my cancer recovery makes it difficult to go do the wildlife photography that I enjoy. I have trouble walking 2 miles without being loaded down with the D7100 and the 200-500 f5.6. For the CL, I have a 11-23 and 18-56 zoom. These more than meet my current needs and capabilities. When my endurance returns and I can be back out in nature, I will probably upgrade the D7100 with a used full frame DSLR. My thoughts are that when that time comes, there will be sufficient used bodies and lenses on the market that the prices will have come down below where they are now.

OP: not a thing wrong with you! You love your DSLR and those lenses and that's perfectly fine! Years ago I first became hooked on mirrorless with the NEX 7, and loved that camera and found myself eventually using it in preference to my DSLRs, but even so it took me some years to come to grips with going with a full-frame mirrorless camera. I know what you mean about using certain lenses over and over and over again -- guilty as charged here!! LOL! I tend to reach for my 90mm macro and my 100-400mm lenses time and time again even though I have other lenses in the cabinet which will also help me create nice images in different ways. The other day prior to going out for a walk but not with any particular subject in mind, as my hand was once more reaching for the 100-400mm zoom, I paused, pulled my fingers back and said, "no, this time I need to give some other lenses some love," and after a moment's thought reached for the 135mm f/1.8, and took it out for a walk with me. So, yes, I can definitely relate to that tendency towards continually using one or two favorite lenses while others sit in the bag or the cabinet.....

If you see no value in upgrading that is fine.
Just like me still using my TV from 2004 and my car from 2006. They work fine and does almost everything I want them to do.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Do you reach the limits of this combination to shoot the pictures you like?
Or are you lusting for something new?

It's hard to say what you should do.
I stay DSLR because I have a huge and good collection of lenses. And I don't see anything a mirrorless can do better for me...

I hope, my personal opinion helps a bit
Klaus

Real Name
Mike
Do you reach the limits of this combination to shoot the pictures you like?
Or are you lusting for something new?

It's hard to say what you should do.
I stay DSLR because I have a huge and good collection of lenses. And I don't see anything a mirrorless can do better for me...

I hope, my personal opinion helps a bit
Klaus
That's the reason I've never added zoom lenses or upgraded my camera...no reason too for now. The masters of the old used more limited equipment than we have.

Real Name
Mike
But no need to artificially constrain yourself.
I don't feel any constraint. When I do then I'll make a change. I just don't feel the necessity at the present time.

I still keep my D750 bodies around because they serve a purpose that no mirrorless camera can replace. Mainly in WYSIWYG, low light/pitch black strobe photography and tripod photography which still is superior with a DSLR when shooting stopped down. The only DSLR that I can see replacing the D750 with is the D780 (faster FPS, deeper buffer, faster AF in live view), which is probably what I'll get once prices drop even more!

Real Name
Dan
Hey, we like what we like. It doesn't have to be rational. IMO for ergonomics and pure pleasure of operating the equipment there is nothing like shooting with one of Nikon's "flagship" DSLR bodies.

For several years to save bulk/weight I've used a Sony a6000 for travel photography when I don't plan on any wildlife shooting. I really dislike using that camera. So much so that it negatively impacts how many photos I shoot. But with a couple of kit lenses it is easy to carry on a bicycle. So I soldier on with it :(

There are times where I miss my 180 - it was so relatively light, and extremely sharp. There is nothing wrong with you. You have a great kit that I’m sure provides great images.

JLH

I have both DSLR's and mirrorless (all Nikon, FF and crop in each). I am likely the odd one here but I use all of them. But then I am a "technician" type and just enjoy seeing what each camera can do, finding its strengths. I enjoy the technology in photography so for me the thrill of learning new skills and such is more important than getting one of my shots in National Geography. I enjoy my time with each of my cameras be it catching a sand hill crane or other bird in flight, catching a sunrise over the ocean, or doing a macro shot on an insect in a flower bloom. Its all fun and each of my camera's has a place.
That said I have been enjoying my Z5 and Z50 and someday...maybe...I will get a Z7II when the price is right. Meanwhile I enjoy all the gear I have.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom