These Colours Are For Real [IR multispectral, slightly multitemporal]

N

nfoto

Just another glimpse of the potential inherent in IR landscape photography,

150032.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Composite of three band-limited IR images taken nearly concurrently with 2 cameras (hadn't three IR-capable cameras available so could not do all three shots simultaneously)

red = [900-1000 nm]
green = [800-900 nm]
blue = [700-800 nm]

The weather was quite dramatic at the time these photographs were taken, shafts of light outlined details in the rugged mountain landscape. What you can not see, however, is the newly fallen snow because fresh snow is wet so won't reflect much IR.

Taken with D1 and D70 cameras, the bandpass limits are approximate.

Edited to add,
By definition I tried to achieve multispectral imaging, but ended up with an element of multitemporality included as well. The unexpected always adds a bonus to such experiments.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nfoto

Planet Earth, as a matter of fact :smile: Just a fresh twist on the endless, mundane autumn scenes from this beautiful mountain range.

With our human vision, the scene looked like this a few hours later that day,

v_28653.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

by then, the weather had cleared, sunlight bathed the landscape, and most of the newly fallen snow had melted

N

nfoto

Paul,

the actinic (photographic) range is up to some 1350 nm, and my D1 can record almost up there, but with poor response. To record thermal IR you would be well above that, into the non-actinic band, anywhere from 3000 nm to 14000 nm, using exotic indium-germanium "lenses" and other fancy equipment.

I agree 3 cameras would be optimal, but even I have a limit with respect to the gear setups I can muster for a given project ! Do remember I had to get additional 28 mm lenses and each "band" shot, or subimage, is really 2 or 3 basic images, with different filtration over the lenses so as to give me the band difference I needed. You are guaranteed to get a bit warm under the hood trying to secure this kind of shot with a changeable weather, operating 2 cameras and 2 lenses and 6-8 different filter combinations more or less concurrently :biggrin: All of this at sunrise 0700 at -5 degrees ambient, with an intermittent gale force wind to cheer you up.

JB

I love your work Bjørn. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I love your work Bjørn. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Very nice. Care to share how you did it? I've done multispectral IR, but I don't have bandpass filters, I typically shoot a plain old Hoya R72, Schott RG830, and Hoya RM90, then subtract between them to get the bandpass responses...

N

nfoto

We are apparently doing this more or less in the same fashion, Joe. Even down to some of the filters (for example, RG830, RM90; I also have denser filters). As you may have noticed in an earlier reply (to Paul), I referred to taking 2 (or 3) shots with each of the cameras as part of the challenge. In particular with a rapidly changing weather.

One of these days, I'm going to remove the mirror and make a small filter wheel that rotates through the space where the mirror used to be.

It's a pity that none of the affordable Nikons have the kind of mirror setup the D2X has. It's mirror is mounted about 5mm farther forward than the "35mm evolved" DSLRs like D70, D100, D1X. There's enough room behind the mirror for the filter wheel to move through that space, so the camera could still have SLR viewing with visible light, while shooting through filters.

Latest threads

Top Bottom