These tiny lens screws are driving me crazy! How to find replacement?

So.... Long story short, My Nikon 80-200mm F2.8 af-s lens ran into a fairly common issue. A Ribbon cable near the top of the lens came out and blocked the autofocus range.

So I got into the lens and repaired it. HOWEVER. I stripped basically all 3 screws needed to re-secure it.

Where do I find a replacement screw of the right size? I have run out of options on Amazon, and locally there's no repair stores anymore. And Hobby shops don't have screws for sale either.
I took a picture of the closest screws i could find. Maybe can help identify it?

My theory is I need a M1.8 5mm, Fine thread screw. Which don't really exist in the wild... (M1.8 4mm would also work i suspect)
The M2 and the M1.7 are not use-able as you can see..
I used photoshop to get rough measurement numbers in the picture below. American Quarter for comparison.

I'm in Canada if it matters

Any help would be awesome

xGkoQKi.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

How badly did you bugger the heads? Usually it means the screwdriver or the head was not standard. Most phillips screwdrivers anymore are garbage.
If none of the threads are any worse than shown here, you could touch it up with a file or die. If the heads are buggered, you can always cut a new slot.
I always hate it when what should be an easy repair, turns into a nightmare.
Our home development stores, like Lowes or Home Depot, often have a set of drawers of odd little metric hardware- might be worth a look.
Good luck
Gary

Thanks everyone, I knew there was a JIS screw standard of sorts, but could not find a JIS size that seemed appropriate.

I even have the repair manual for this camera, and it unfortunately just calls these screws #137's... no documentation on size.

As for the heads, yeah they are pretty doomed, I needed to use a drill bit in reverse to get them out. I could potentially drill them back in, but if I ever ran into the same problem in the future, I would be out of luck for getting back in...

Laptop screws skips M1.8's unfortunately (all not in stock). But I know they can do custom orders, might be the way I have to go!

Mac Laptop case-screws need a Penta screwdriver for their star-shaped slots.
Nikkor Lenses use JIS screws from Japan and need special JIS screwdrivers.

It is definitely worth buying these special screwdrivers if you use Mac or Nikon products but you will almost certainly need to get them by mail-order.

I once persuaded a kind engineer at Nikon to send me some spare JIS-headed screws but I don't believe that they are really allowed to do that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom