They call me Mr Glossy

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Was out shooting at Viera with Gale yesterday and had kind of a bust of a day, at least concerning varieties of birds. I was able to spend a little time practicing on some techniques and I got pretty lucky with some Glossy Ibis shots. For whatever reason, this trip, every other bird was either a Glossy or a Snowy. So like the saying goes, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

Here's a series of Mr Glossy, the Glossy Ibis, in-flight and posed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some in-flight shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And sometimes a bird's gotta do what a bird's gotta do. :redface:
    [​IMG]

2. Hi Kevin,

You have done a great job capturing the subtle color gradations on the wings. That is really hard to find in most photos. For those that have not seen this bird, the wings look a bit like the colors in an oil slick that vary depending on the viewing angle.

Bob

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really good Kevin.

The sun hit them just right to get that color. That tough shootin.

Great flight colors and color as well.
    Good job all the way around.

4. Great job capturing the iridescent colors on the wings that makes the shot

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Kevin, those are some of the best Glossy Ibis shots I've ever seen! As everyone else has pointed out, those colors make them and I know from experience (at that same spot!) how difficult it can be to get the exposure right on them.

Great job!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful shots Kevin. I'm getting real tired of saying that. :rolleyes:

Are you sure that you don't want to adopt a 59 Y.O. programmer. :eek:

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

great set Kevin
    love the one with the water drop :smile:

9. Great series Kevin. You sure did a great job of capturing the iridescent colors on the wings.

10. I think these came out really well Kevin. BTW, I like lemonade... :biggrin:

11. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I envy you being able to call glossy ibis a lemon. I like the fifth shot, really gorgeous.

--ricardo

12. These are sweet. The iridescence in the plumage is delightful.

13. Oops...guess I posted too many threads--can't keep up with the responses! :redface:

Thank you all for your kind comments. I kept telling Gale (as we complained about not seeing much variety) that I think these Glossy pics are going to be ok. For whatever reason, the Glossy and the Snowy were the stars of the day. Glossies normally are very shy and dash off before you can get a shot off but not Sat. They sat and posed and flew right in front of us.

The Snowies were performing water ballets right in front of us as well. Still have to work those shots.

I was very well pleased with these shots, personally, and it's nice to get validation from photogs that I respect so much! Thanks again everyone!!

14. Nice Birdies.. With those colors...

15. Oh, and btw, Frank~you're welcome anytime you'd like! We can talk about adoption if you'll agree to feed the dog every day since my 15yr old seems to forget that chore! :wink:

Hurry up and come down, Gale & I are ready for our next installment of "Flew's methods for becoming a great photographer"!