They grow up so fast

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Sep 11, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

Trish first spotted the Black-Bellied Whistling ducklings at the end of July. They started out with 24 duckling and they are now holding at 9 surviving ducklings. Here are some recent shots of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Morning Harry
    9 is that good or bad, I mean the ratio ??
    the images (yours) are always a good ratio :biggrin:
    Gee I really like the blue water (inside joke) :wink:

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Last year a pair of BBWDs had 12 ducklings and by the end of the season there was one parent and one duckling surviving. Having 9 ducklings surviving at this point is very good. Between bad weather, illness, gators, snakes, turtles, herons, egrets and raptors there are many dangers for the ducklings. They have large amounts of ducklings because so many don't survive.

Last year they had an additional danger and that was photographers. For some reason they became a semi-tourist attraction. Every time they tried to come to land for rest they were scared away by groups of folks with P&S cameras rushing up to them with their 2X and 3X zooms to get a picture. This year they have not gained such attention. The only folks shooting them have longer reach so they are not being scared away from the shoreline like last year.

Those Canon shooters are so jealous (inside joke)

4. Cute shots Harry, I like the one of the three of them lined up.

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thaks Gordon. They are a tad cute.