They say they want a devolution ...

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Or is it Stairway to Devolution? Either way:

[​IMG]

2. H-m-m, very interesting composition. A shot to get lost in for a while. Love the tones, too! Are you using the Leica here?

3. Not as interesting as the strata image but still good.

What film? You are getting awesome results here.

And where is that museum?

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Ray. Yes, the Leica I got in May with a 35mm f/1.7 CV lens. Metered with a Gossen Luna-pro (non-sbc.)

If you start at the brightest spotlight, go up 2 floors, and across to the other side of the t-rex, that is where Strata was shot from. This is Delta 3200 exposed at iso 1600. Developed in HC110, dilution H for 17 minutes at 75F. I agitated for the first minute, then 10 seconds every 3 minutes until the end of the development. I have problems with 3 minute agitation, because I often go do something else, and get distracted, then miss the agitation time. This time, I stayed right there and cleaned my bathroom while waiting.

The Mesa Southwest Museum is located one block north of Main Street on McDonald in downtown Mesa, Arizona. Thanks.

5. Neat shot, Chris! Seems like an extra-neat place!

I'm with you on the "cleaning the bathroom while waiting" part! :BigGrin:!

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Ned. I went back through the posts to find where you recommended that exact development regime. And thanks for that too!

7. That's a honor! :biggrin:

But the truth is, HC110 is so linear that almost any combination of time-agitation-speed will work quite well with it, as opposed to D76, for example.

8. D-E-V-O...we are DEVO...D-E-V-O
    this shot is complex with all the volume it contains..almost feels like more than one shot is happening simultaneously.
    I tried some HC110 the other day, have been off of the stuff for several months, because i'd used up my first five liters of XTOL. bought another baggie of XTOL the next day..definitely my prefered mix right now with the Neopan ACROS. but i am getting aquainted with PX 125 and TXP 320 in the 120 and 220 form in the Badhassel..and XTOL is listed as highly versatile ! there too..a scanner should be here late this morning, gonna learn oil immersion scan technique for 120/220
    :redface:eek:h jeez i've DEVOLVED this post into my trip, instead of about his trip:redface:
    sorry about DEVOlving hyjack of thread:wink:...i see the 3200 comes in 120

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    's-cool man, I mean far out! We are all water brothers here. Yeah D32 in 120. I copped some of that! Whoa! In color too! Far ouuuut man!

Can you dig it?

10. Off Topic

I just finished a book that inspired the multi-talented band DEVO. HERE is a link. Tough book to find around here. I had to have it shipped from Penn State's main campus to my local library. I would love to own a copy of it.

My favorite quote from the book is "The greatest achievement is to achieve nothing more." Taken in context, it just struck me.

11. Npw that song is stuck in my head, along with this interesting image

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    So when Olivia says "Must eat brains." (which she often does), I should take it as a sign of devolution, rather than mimicking a cartoon show? Yikes!

13. Maybe it's a government/Hollywood conspiracy to convince people that evolution is real and we are dumber than monkeys?

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I am certainly dumber than many of the monkeys I hang with.

15. :biggrin:

Sorry to hijack your thread. :frown:

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    No such thing as a thread hijack in my book Greg. It's a conversation about various topics begun with a picture offered for critique. Conversations wander, and that is how we learn new stuff.

And when they wander to brain eating monkeys, that is certainly a good thing! (Cause you know, I will be getting my money's worth out of that information!)

17. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    Great picture!!!

I also use a Luna meter when I take the contax out, it's the Lunasix 3... great little guy.
    How do you use it? incident or reflected? I usually measure the incident light where I'm standing and correlate that to how the light is on my subject and adjust accordingly... It's been giving me good results so far!

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Gav! I usually use the LP in reflected mode (that is, slide the dome out of the way.) If I need an incident reading, I find it easier to take a reflected reading off my hand.

But I also have the 'spot' meter attachment. It's a pretty big spot at seven and a half degrees, but it's quite accurate and very easy to use. It works like a TLR. One lens focuses light on the CdS detector, and another lens goes to a tiny viewing screen with a circle on it. Just line the circle up with what you are metering, and take the reading. I especially like that it slips into my pocket.

19. i've just started useing the LP SBC...i like the EV dial as it corresponds to the old Zeiss Distagon f stop/aperture connection ring
    i use it with the dome slid out of the way.
    i'm curious though about makeing judgemnts when i center the needle, and the settings arwe between EV, or f stop and shutter.
    the ISO setting at 100 is strait forward, but, again guessing for the exact spot between 800 and 1.6K.....

20. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's got 1/3rd stop markings, just like a Nikon! Of course all my manual cameras have half stop at best, so a bit of guestimation helps. But it's only a third of a stop. To B&W film, that's nothing. For slide film, guess low and bracket.

The biggest problem with the Luna-pro is the batteries. The meter is specified for 1.35V mercury cells. It works with 1.5 alkalines in the middle of the scale, but it's iffy at the extremes of both scales. To counter this, I am using a concoction of air-zinc hearing aid batteries and some wire and rubber insulation. That works, but changing batteries (which I seem to need to do every 2 or 3 months) is a chore.

I see that B&H has a thing that fixes the problem. I may just get one, now that I need the meter more often.