1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

They walk among us.

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Jun 5, 2007.

1. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    Wow Chris, I love both of those shots!! They look like something out of a nightmare.
    My favorite pictures of yours without question.

Chris

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I saw one of those go by:>)))))

3. Night of the Living ...very spectral of you, Chris!

4. Better get this out of the way...

I see dead people...

Very nice!

5. Spectacular! The person (?) on the right in the first one really scares me! I am thinking along the lines of cellison; if these aren't your best, they are pretty darn close. Wow.

6. Nils

Nils

Mar 30, 2007
    Aptos, California
    nice grain
    nils

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Chris! That's quite a statement. :smile:

Heh. They do all the time Gale!

Kinda makes you want to stay in at night... :eek: 

So does my camera on 1/8th. Thanks Ed.

Thank you Greg. You mean the dog-faced thing at the table? I know.

Thanks Ned!

Thank you Nils! It's what you get when you under-develop by 3 stops, then scan for all you can get! :redface::redface::redface:

8. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    Amazing pictures Chris!!

Allow me to be indiscreet, but did you do this on purpose or was it by chance?

9. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Wow Chris! Love them. straight from a nightmare, indeed!

10. i'll probably have a hard time trying to follow in your steps...the images have appeal

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Gav! Both. I purposely used a long shutter time (from 1/4 to 1/30) in order to have plenty of subject and camera movement. I wanted an abstraction of moving people, rather than sharp images of specific people. Plus I was practicing Ned's reverse panning technique. On that level everything went as planned.

The chance aspect is due to an accident in development. I wanted to pull this roll by a stop and a half (delta3200, exposed at iso 1200ish) but pulled the development three stops instead to iso 400. Just dumbness on my part. But that is why these have such pronounced grain. I like the technique, though. I'm sure I was supposed to do it here. :Crunk:

Thanks Matthew! I am encouraged that you see that.

When I get to the point that I can use darkness half as well as you are using lightness in your current work, I will feel good about it. Thanks.

12. Um... I like 'em. Arresting shots. Keep flogging that creative streak.

13. Chris what camera did you use for these? The Leica?

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yes Ray. I stealthed it up a bit, paparazzo style:

[​IMG]

15. Whoah! It now looks like a 3500$ MP!
    Leicas are so great, heh Chris? I'm totally addicted that's for sure.

No more stinky heavy DSLRs and SLRs dictating my mind, time and energy on trips. When I look back I can't believe how I did without such a simple camera.

16. Looking good Chris. People probably think it's some rinky dink toy camera.

It's funny Ned, even my D80 seems big and clunky to me. Although I do like my little Nikon EM and with the 28mm, 50mm and 105mm ais it's not much to tote around on a trip. But I am loving the rf!

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    ... What have you done with the real Stephen!?!??? :Unsure::BigGrin::Crunk:

Thanks. I will!

So much for stealth security!

I can't say that I don't have cravings. The recoil and sound of an F5. The IR handling and precision of the OM1. ...

But you are right about that freedom thing. Leica is so intuitive. I'm gonna try to go all summer just using 400 speed film with it (and a couple digital cameras... :Whistle: ) As cameras go, the m4p's got Less is More down.

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    See. That's what I was hoping.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.