They will be here soon! RBG

Discussion in 'Birds' started by BirdLady, Apr 3, 2007.

1. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    large.

I know this not a good picture but I wanted Frank to see this again. These are the bells I was talking about.

2. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Debbie, I think Frank had been busy being away on a trip, but hopefully he'll see this now.

Silly me, but I have always liked this shot because it gives a wider angle peek into your "bird sanctuary" backyard. :biggrin:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bump for Flewyyyyyyyyyyy

Nice shot Debbie

4. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    The good thing about these bells is that instead of ding they chip!

5. They look nice Debbie. We have them here also but I could never hang them as they would last maybe one night unless I took them in as I am doing with my feeder now. Raccoons and black bears will be trouble for feeders left out here. I stopped buying feeders and just use my empty coffey cans to make a tough metal feeder. They may empty it but it stays intack.:biggrin:
    Lou

6. spruce

spruce Guest

We had one in our yard for a few days last year, what good looking birds

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not away on a trip Miko, just busy with the Cafe weekend get together, then with work (ugh!! :frown:).

Thanks for the help on this Debbie. I just responded to your PM on the meal worms. I really want to get the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks back this year, and I wouldn't mind getting a few more of the exotic species that you have managed to attract in your back yard. :smile:

Thanks again.

8. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Very nice.

9. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Thanks, everyone. I hope that I get as many as last year. The males arrive first, then the female and juveniles arrive about a week later. The male juvenile looks so much more like a female but I have learned how to tell them apart. Easter morning is normally the time of the year that they arrive.

Lou, sorry to hear that the black bears and Raccoons were getting into your feeders. If you have two trees that you can string a rope between them, you can put the feeders on the rope. Place a couple of short PVC pipes on each end of the rope and the Raccoons will fall off of the pipes. Just make sure that your feeders are high enough so the bears can't reach them. Just a little trick I read somewhere.

10. Thank you Debbie but I have been down that road a long time ago and I can assure you you cannot stop a bear once he/she gets the smell of bird seed. They love it. One night I watched a good size bear in my yard from my kitchen window with the porch light on and it was trying to figure out how to get to this feeder set the way you said. It did not take long as it just climbed one tree and took a big swipe at the rope holding the feeder up and down it all came and the bear right behind it. Here in N.Y it is illeagle to feed bears and this is considered feeding them so the DEC states if you don't feed them they won't come. They even give you a nice sign to place on the front of your house if you are a good neighbear. I also watched one in front of my garage try to undo the rope that went up to a pulley in a tree for a feeder. The rope was hooked on my garrage This one I hollowed at and it ran but I had to take the feeder in or loose it. Also about the PVC pipe, NG the raccoons I posted a while ago just went up it like it was wood. Bears overpower and raccoons outsmart you. I love it :biggrin: :biggrin:
    Lou