1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

"They're all good at f/8..."

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Oct 2, 2008.

1. "They're all good at f/8". It's common knowledge, frequently repeated on this forum. I recently gave that advice to a newbie who was looking for a studio lens. I recalled my comments on Tuesday night, as I was packing up for my my studio lighting class. I decided that the 28-105/3.5-4.5 would do just as well as the 28-70/2.8 at the small aperture settings we'd be using.

It actually did a good job...

103944175.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

but the Beast delivers something special, even at f/16.

View attachment 261881

My conclusions are
    • pretty girls make the best models
    • the 28-70/2.8 is hard to beat at any aperture
    • quite often, common knowledge is based on opinion, not fact

2. Eyaldar

Eyaldar

Dec 21, 2007
    Israel
    Actually, I think most of the problem with this "common knowledge" is that it refers to sharpness and not to overall IQ, and indeed, on the sharpness department you'll only find minor differences...

3. fotographiq

fotographiq Guest

I agree with Eyal 100%. Sharpness isn't the end all, be all when it comes to most types of shooting.

4. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Frank , it's hard not to agree with EACH of your three conclusions :) 
    IMHO 28-70/2.8 (as all hi-end lenses for that matter) delivers the widest DR in widest gamut/color range...our eye & brain just "confirms" this picture is closest to "real life"...and we buy "The Beast" :smile:
    Great portraits, by the way.

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    +2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.