1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

They're all slowly coming in.

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Connahhh, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    "They" meaning rolls of film from Nova Scotia. Two rolls of color are a day or two away. Finally.

Anyway, dev'd this last night and just got to scanning today. Blad, Fp4+, some from Nova Scotia, some from Rhode Island, some from New Hampshire. I like diversity.

2825738593_6cd10ef888.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2825738985_37ea57cc17.jpg

2826578126_cd94834141.jpg

2826578606_a53e661279.jpg

View attachment 247373

Critique, anything.

2. well done, connor
    i can't wait to see more

this is a great series

3. The top three are very interesting. #2 being my favorite. You should rescan #4, the newton rings you taught me about seem to distract me when viewing it. I wish I had your eye for composition.

4. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Thanks, I agree about the newton rings. But get this, that was three scans. I moved it to hopefully randomize the newton rings and then use the other images to fill in the blanks. Do you have any idea what I'm saying? I might not. :biggrin: What I'm getting at is that it would take a lot of work to get rid of the newton rings when I'm just going to darkroom print this anyway. I'll post the scanned print when it's done.

Thanks! I can't wait to get these rolls back... finally. It has seemed like so long ago that I even went on this trip!

5. Wow, three scans! I get your point. Knowing that I nix my rescan suggestion. Thanks for posting the image. I have never personally seen a meteor shower. I am assuming that was from Nova Scotia?

6. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Terrific star trails, even with the Newton rings. Wonderful series Connor. I too wish I had your eye for composition Well done. Looking forward to your next set of scans.

7. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I really like the tree one, I'm sure it would've been great in colour as well. The star trail is intersting as well though maybe framing less trees and more stars might have been "better".

8. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    All good Connor, but I particually enjoyed the long exposure of the starry sky

9. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Thanks Robert!

I think I did shoot an exposure in color, so I'll be sure to let you know when it's scanned!

I agree on the star trail shot. It's also underexposed, I didn't account for reciprocity failure when I calculate 90 minutes. I think I might do a five hour one sometime, how cool would that be? :biggrin:

Thanks Michael. Composing square is so much more fun than 4x6. It's almost relaxing.

Actually, not a meteor shower. Just a normal night, 90 minute exposure. The sky clouded over at some point during the exposure, I was kind of bummed on that. You can see the ends kind of fading out. That was actually right outside my door in NH.

Someone suggested that scanning emulsion down is what is the cause for newton rings. Definitely going to look into that!

10. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    The roll of color is in. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

11. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    The more I look at that tree the more I like it. Square composition helps a lot here, I'm really liking that format as well :wink:

12. These are really good, and the square format make the composition appear deceptively simple.

Sean

13. I'm not a Photoshop expert by any means, but since you made three scans could you layer them and remove the newton rings? They all are very nice, like 'em a lot.

14. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    That's exactly what I did, yes. However, I put the neg in a book overnight and now I can re-scan with those POS negative holders.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.