1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

thin or normal filters for 18-200mm VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I have read some threads in which some users of the 18-200mm VR lens are saying that they are getting some vignetting. I am guessing, but it could be because of a UV or clear filter placed over the lens. Has anyone had this experience here and if so are you using a regular sized filter. There are some slim UV filters available but at a premium price. Or a step up ring could work but that makes the lens hood unusable. I like the idea of a step up ring to use my 77mm CP filter on the 18-200 also so I will probably get one anyway.

I have decided it is better to have a protective filter, so given that, does anyone have any thoughts?

2. I have one..and it doesn't seem to be the filter. It happens at all focal lengths....especially at 200mm. If it was the filter it would only happen at wide angle. It's a flaw of the design, however if you shoot at f8 or above when you have a flat image it goes away. Basically in my opinion the benefits of this lens out-way it's problems. It does have really nice color, the VR works real well (I can shoot 200mm down to 1.6th of a second sharp), and it's a light carry. it doesn't replace my 17-55 or 70-200VR, but then it's not supposed to. It does replace my 24-120VR real nice. By the way I did a couple of quick tests against the Tamron and the Nikon kills it.

GenoP

3. Thanks for your input Geno, I wasn't clear if you have a filter on your's or if the lens just has that tendancy without the filter. Do you keep a filter on it all the time and if so do you find that this adds to the vignetting?

4. I have a regular BW MRC 010 on it all the time. I have checked it without the filter and it makes no difference. One really nice thing about this lens is the color matches the 12-24 perfectly. Between the two you can do almost anything.

GenoP

5. Well I decided to pick up a 72mm Hoya Pro 1 which is considered thin but also has threads on the front so it will hold the lens cap. From all I have read the Pro 1 series meets or exceeds Nikon filters. I also picked up a 72mm to 77mm step up ring adopter so that I could use my Circular Polarizar filter with investing in another of these expensive babies. I ordered them from B&H so they won't be here until next week (year). If anyone is interested, I'll report back, I will have both Nikon and Hoya to compare.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.